Are boys or girls easier to potty train

I am just curious as to if it is easier to potty train girls or boys, i have been told that boys are really hard. My son is 9 months old and as soon as he is walking i want to start teaching him to use the big potty. I know he won't learn right away but i just dont want him in diapers at 3 or 4 yrs old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah good luck with that!!! Boys are way harder... and no matter what YOU want it's got to be at his pace!! MY son is 3 and 6 months and we have been at it for a LONG time... he is just not interested!! If I put him in undies he pee and poops in them and just doesn't care!!! It's driving me NUTS!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Babies are so different. I hear boys are harder. My nephew was potty trained at 1 1/2 and just using pull ups at night time. But it all depends on your son and when he's ready.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 1:50 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My son was potty trained in less than a week at age 2.5

What makes the difference is if the kid shows all the signs and if you are willing to make the effort.

We went cold turkey off diapers and pull-ups. He was day and night and away trained at the same time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Not sure which is more difficult to train because I never really paid attention to that. My child took about a week to train but we also waited until HE was ready, not when we were ready or when society felt he should be. Don't worry so much about what other people think. Just do what is right for YOUR child - and if he's still not potty trained at 4 years old, well so be it. It won't be the end of the world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The gender difference is a myth -- some individual kids may present more problems than others, but they can all be trained, and much younger than 3 or 4 years if you want my opinion. I think you're being smart planning to start when he learns to walk. I did that with my boy and my girl and they were both trained by 19 months. The whole, wait till he's ready thing is a crock. The gender difference play a bigger part if you are waiting for a child-directed experience... but if you take a more proactive role, as it sounds like you're wanting to do, and you train in your child's first readiness window (usually between 16-18 months), he'll do fine. YOU need to be ready, i.e. committed to the process, you need to have confidence in him, and you need to see it through... Plain and simple. Stay away from pull-ups, once you go to underwear don't ever go back to diapers, and don't give up when it gets a little rocky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 21, 2010