Anyone hear about this Tea Party Leader who stuck his foot in his mouth?

*****I DO NOT think all Tea Party people are as ignorant as this guy but he def takes some kind of idiot award!*****

Mark Williams, chairman of the Tea Party Express, blogged about the 13-story mosque and Islamic cultural center planned at Park Place and Broadway, calling it a monument to the 9/11 terrorists.

"The monument would consist of a Mosque for the worship of the terrorists' monkey-god," Williams, a frequent guest on CNN, wrote on his Web site.

His statements drew a sharp rebuke from City Hall and the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a national Muslim civil rights and advocacy group.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Muslim rights group, pointed out other offensive statements Williams has made about Muslims on his Web site, including calling Islam "a 7th Century Death Cult coughed up by a psychotic pedophile."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "A few days ago I wrote an article critical of a monument to the 911 hijackers to be built at Ground Zero and scheduled to open on 9/11/11. I can only assume the date is only to emphasize the perverted message of the monument. The only thing sicker is that Americans will not only allow it but that they will defend it.

In the course of the article I described the “god” worshiped by terrorists as “a monkey god”. I was wrong and that was offensive. I owe an apology to millions of Hindus who worship Lord Hanuman, an actual Monkey God."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• "Moreover, Hanuman is worshiped as a symbol of perseverance, strength and devotion. He is known as a destroyer of evil and to inspire and liberate. Those are hardly the traits of whatever the Hell (literally) it is that terrorists worship and worthy of my respect and admiration not ridicule.

So, again, to my Hindu friends I offer my sincerest apologies for my horrible lapse and my insensitivity. It was unintentional, inexplicably ignorant and I am ashamed at my offense toward you."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The planned location of this mosque is deeply offensive to me. There are any number of other locations it could have been constructed at ~ why that one? At the very least it shows an appalling lack of compassion for the victims of 9-11 and their families. There is also the possibility that the man nailed it, which would mean that truth does hurt sometimes. My opinion is that I'm inclined to believe he is right, and that is what I've thought since I first heard of the plans.

While I don't think the name calling was necessary, people do have a right to have an opinion as well as voice it. We have judges who say that anyone can say practically anything ~ Phelps and his family being one of the better known cases.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:14 AM on May. 21, 2010

• He can say anything he wants. I tend to agree with him on this. Besides, where's all the outrage when people bash Christians, which goes on ALL. THE. TIME. I don't see anyone rushing to their defense. Yah, no one gives a shit about it then. BTW, I am not religious, this is a religious outsider's point of view. Personally I think it's all a bunch of crap, but I totally see a double standard in this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I think it's great that they are building a mosque there. I wish people knew at least a tad bit of the beautiful religion of Islam. I think it is very appropriate, and if anyone is upset about it...they need to take it up with the city of New York.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Farmlady said it nicely.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:08 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Your question is weird to say the least and I think the guy can say whatever he wants. After all he isn't a politician. It's called Free speech and I think it was very good of him to apologise for something he really didn't have to.
    This mosque is a huge offense to Americans especially the 9-11 families. Disgusting. Whoever is allowing it anywhaere near there should be flogged.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on May. 21, 2010

• itsmesteph sure he can say what he wants under free speech but with all the Tea Party members trying to say their movement is not racist and things aren't about hate to have him say things like this is counterproductive don't you think?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I think it is important to realize that there were many muslim americans weeping with us the day of 9-11. And this mosque is not being built by New York City. A man, with help from the Malaysian government, purchased this land just as any other person would and has decided to build a mosque a few blocks away from ground zero. It is their right.
    I was at a memorial downtown Seattle the day after the attacks and there were SO many people touched by 911 that it was one of the most powerful gatherings I have ever witnessed. Muslim men were walking around with tears in their eyes just as big as any one elses, only they felt the need to carry signs saying "I am not a terrorist" "Muslims for peace" "Hijackers did not worship my God" They were giving and receiving hugs from the huge crowd and it was one of those moments you knew couldnt last forever. Real togetherness. I am sad to see that is only a value to some people.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:41 AM on May. 21, 2010

• There is also the possibility that the man nailed it, which would mean that truth does hurt sometimes. My opinion is that I'm inclined to believe he is right,

If that's the case, why did he feel the need to apologize?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:29 PM on May. 21, 2010