4 1/2 month old waking up in the night?

MY son goes to bed every night at the same time and he sleeps through the night. Lately, he has randomly been waking up 1 or 2 times a night for no reason. I just hear him crying and I go in his room, give him his paci and pat his butt, and he's out. Why is he doing this suddenly after hes been sleeping through the night since 2 months old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may be starting to have dreams, really its just flashes in his head, that may startle him. I know that my daughter was about that age when she started doing that. I would get her back to sleep the same way you are with your son. I walked in her room one night to get some laundry, and she was sleeping, but practicing crawling and rolling!!! I didn't believe that was possible but I looked it up online and sure enough, quite possible. She woke up and was scared that she was on her hands and knees and started screaming.
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 4:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Teething?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 21, 2010

• ALL babies wake up. Sleep patterns do not settle into a consistent pattern until age three or four. expect changes during growth spurts, teething, separation anxiety, and major developmental milestones. It is also normal and common for babies that age to wake up to eat (going back to sleep when encouraged doesn't necessarily mean he's not hungry). Just because a baby did something last week, doesn't mean they do something today.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Because he's a baby. Don't get used to a sleep pattern...they change them lots.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My son is 4 1/2 months also... he usually gets up at least once a night. Like everyone else said his sleeping patterns will change often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My 4 1/2 month old still wakes once at night to eat and will (usually) go right back to sleep. the time she wakes up changes pretty consistently. Have you tried feeding him when he wakes up the first time? if he's having a growth spurt that might be the reason. If he isn't hungry he'll either refuse the bottle/breast or just suck enough to soothe himself and go back to sleep.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:31 PM on May. 21, 2010

• He's not waking up. He's just crying in his sleep, so I don't think hes hungry. The second I pat him, he stops. Maybe he is having dreams
    Anonymous

• I bet money that he's in that deep REM sleep where he can have dreams. Common.
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 4:23 PM on May. 21, 2010