Would you be worried if no one has called?

We're having a birthday party for my 7 year old tomorrow after school. She invited 10 girls from school and not one parent has RSVP'd. One girl told my daughter at school that they can't go, but what about the rest? Should I be worried that no one will show up? I know that there are a lot of people who don't bother to RSVP so I'm really hoping that is the case. We would be happy if even just 2 or 3 came. This is the first "friends" party that we have done. She will be devastated if nobody comes. Would you be worried? How would you comfort your child if no one came to their party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would be on the phone calling parents to find out if anyone is coming. I would just explain to your DD that sometimes people have other things to do and they had other stuff going on and then you and her can go do something really,really special. Happy Birthday to your DD my DD will be 2yrs old on Saturday.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:35 AM on May. 21, 2010

• yea, i would call parents and find out for sure. i wouldnt know what to say to my DS if that happened. good luck
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 2:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yes, ppl are rude and do not respond to RSVPs anymore, therefore it is up to you follow up with a phone call to determine if the invited will be attending or not. You should start the phone calls before you buy your party supplies so that you won't get stuck with too much food or not enough party favors, etc., so about a week before your party date, preferably.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Call them and made sure they are coming

Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 AM on May. 21, 2010

• ITA with the others, sit down and call around to the parents so you know if they are coming. I have never asked for anyone to RSVP to anything besides my wedding, so I don't know how to deal with all that. But we have always had a decent turn out, even from people who said they couldn't come... Someone always shows.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Get on the phone mamma
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• OP here. I couldn't just call them because I don't have their phone numbers.

I'm kind of new to the birthday party with school friends thing, so I didn't ask for their numbers before we invited them. But everything turned out fine. We had to move the party from a park to our house because of bad weather so I sent notes with my daughter to give to the girls she invited to let them know where they party would be at now. 6 girls came and half of the parents said they had forgotten about it until they got the note. I had my daughter ask them today at school if they were coming and 2 girls (twins) couldn't come because their babysitter wouldn't be able to bring them and her classmates said one girl, who wasn't at school, had lice (thank goodness she stayed home and I hope no one else has it. yuck!).

It was a low budget party so there weren't a lot of supplies to be leftover. My family is happy to have the extra cupcakes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on May. 22, 2010