Weddings with Kids not allowed?

what do you think about weddings that do not want any children there? I recently go an invitation to my cousins wedding, and it said, "no children please". We are a huge Greek family, so everyone has kids, and everyone is invited, so there's no one to watch all the kids. Now half the people she invited can't go because of no one to babysit since the family always does it for each other. And no one is willing to sacrifice to say they will watch some of the kids so others can go. My cousin is furious at the amount of people not going. It's not our fault that no one can watch our children. And now we're all mad that she is mad at us. Now its just one big pissed Greek family. So, weddings that don't allow children...do you think its fair...even tho its their wedding and they should be able to do what they want? Do they have a right to get mad then when not many people can make it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• if my kid was allowed to go, then i wouldnt go..i could care less whos wedding it was!!

i dont think they have a right to be mad tho...they are the ones that decided no kids!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:49 AM on May. 21, 2010

• it sounds like she wants a formal wedding. she has the right but at the same time it can be hard to find a babysitter. I would talk to her over coffee or something and let her know that you cant find a sitter but you still want to go. who knows she might change her mind if no one can show. or maybe she knows someone that can watch all your kids! or find some teen girls to watch all the kids for like 4 hours. compromise is the key word.
    junebug6183

Answer by junebug6183 at 2:58 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Were talking about 25 kids here in just the immediate family. lol. If she lets one of us bring the kids, then the others will expect it too. I can understand for cost, why she doesn't want a bunch of kids, but she can't expect us all to show.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I understand why she wouldnt want kids there, ecspecially since there are so many in your family. Im getting married June 12th, and our church has a nursery, and a kids room so we asked a few people from church to volunteer to watch the kids while the older people sit in for the ceremony & then for the reception the kids can just run around on the dance floor until its time to do the dances, bouquet toss, garter toss, ect. We have quite a few kids in our family too, plus I have a 2 year old. Maybe try talking to her about gettign some friends of family members to help out with the children, if theres not a room at the wedding sites where they can have to their own, maybe a family members house? Good luck, it'd be a shame for everyone not able to go for that reason!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 3:24 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I have been there. My cousin got married two weeks after my second baby. No kids allowed, which didn't bother me. When we got the RSVP, I declined because I knew i'd have a brand new baby and with the rest of the family going, no one I would trust a newborn with. My husband's side did not, at that time, babysit in anyway (whole other story). Anyway, my siblings also didn't go because they have kids, but the other family (sans my parents) didn't see why I couldn't just take care of all the kids so everyone could go even though I'd just given birth.

So we didn't go. Now, I'm not invited to any family events (weddings, graduations, etc.) for anyone outside of my immediate family.

They have a right to not have kids at their wedding but I don't feel they have the right to get so angry when someone can't go because they have kids. Babysitters are hard to find and expensive. Good Luck.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:41 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't blame couples for wanting to have a "kid free" wedding. (I have 5 children, btw). I can't tell you how many weddings I've been too when there are babies crying during the ceremony, kids running up and down the aisles - and I saw a 5 year old push over a wedding cake. Bad parenting in some cases, but sometimes kids get bored. It's THEIR day, and they should be able to look back on it without grimacing. I generally don't even take my kids to weddings, unless the bride asks me to. I have very well behaved kids, but it's a long day for the younger ones.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:15 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Wow. I cannot imagine a Greek wedding without children.
    I think it is up to the bride and groom, and that is it.
    BUT, I do think the manner in which the family is informed can prevent years worth of hurt feelings.
    I have two nieces that had receptions with no kids, mostly because all of their friends were drunks and there was some serious drinking, dangerous drinking.
    But the way they handled the invites were tacky, they just listed the people invited and never said anything more. One niece went so far as to have my kids IN the wedding but not the reception. That made travel out of town, and babysitting set up almost impossible, along with clothing and separate meals and so forth.

You can always choose to opt out of attending. Let them have their day but don't go too far out of your way to keep what's in the best interest of your children's safety and care that day.
    We've decided to not attend any more of these
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on May. 21, 2010

• If it is a church wedding she could always offer child care for the ceremony in the nursery and pay a worker and then allow the children at the reception. Are there any children in the wedding party? If so it's really not fair to say you can't bring yours.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 AM on May. 21, 2010

• She can invite all bikers with tattoos if she wants. It's her day and she doesn't want kids to ruin it. I can understand her being mad at everyone too. She probably feels like it's her big day and no one gives a shit. I'm sure some of them have other forms of childcare they aren't using just out of spite and she knows it. Pay a friend to watch the kids. Find a daycare that is open on Saturdays and will watch them. Some day cares will do that.  If it's at a church see if they have a daycare you can use.  Have their dad or uncle watch them.  Men don't like weddings anyhow so he will probably be happy to do it.  Plenty of options other than auntie Rosie or grandma.  So yeah, I can see why she is pissed.  I would be too.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 8:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The nursery idea at the church is what I've always seen when the bride and groom don't want children at the wedding. I think it's just a nice gesture by the wedding couple to offer it, but your family could just set it up on their own and split the cost of the workers between all the parents.

Answer by missanc at 8:45 AM on May. 21, 2010