Im having trouble with my 8 month olds skin...apparently has eczema...any suggestions?? Pls help.

elyssaNtaryn

Asked by elyssaNtaryn at 2:46 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my FIL is a doctor and i have excema on my hands bad, he said to try tea tree oil mixed with vicks rub (in your case do baby vicks) and apply it to the area where excema is... if its on his hands youll need to put gloves on him feet do socks, just cover where ever it is so he doesnt mess with it.

i did this and it definitely helped with my excemaa!! and its pretty natural instead of the antibiotics theyll give him from a regualr doctor which has part steroids.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:52 AM on May. 21, 2010

• is it food related ??? some foods allergies can cause eczema
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My baby had it on his face... they gave him a steroid cream. And I use to use cortizone cream too. I had to change laundry detergent too. It wud irritate his skin esp if he laid his face on my shirt when I held him. He grew out of it though. I know a lady with it on her feet and she says sun helps her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on May. 21, 2010

i did this and it definitely helped with my excemaa!! and its pretty natural instead of the antibiotics theyll give him from a regualr doctor which has part steroids. Its primarily on her back pretty bad and a few red blotches on her tummy and some on her neck. Think I should change her detergent / fabric softner.....do u recommend any?

Thanks....my MIL recommended the tea tree oil...think Im going to pick some up tomorrow. As far as the steroids...Im staying clear from that, in which case her PED refused to prescribe it anyway.
    elyssaNtaryn

Answer by elyssaNtaryn at 3:28 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Pls excuse me....Im new here and I dont know what happened to my reply.
    elyssaNtaryn

Answer by elyssaNtaryn at 3:31 AM on May. 21, 2010

• As far as it being food related...im not sure...she was on Enfimil w/ Lipil for the past month and when we went to the doctor he changed it to Simliac Alumentum....it helped a little. I have been creaming her down 3-4 times a day with an Eczema cream I purchased at CVS by Disney....it contained lots of natural ingredients and very little alcohol. where as the Aveeno contained much more. it seems to be working but its still there. I have been bathing her in the Aveeno oatmeal bath the past few days. I would love to make her her food, but Im just scared to take that adventure. I wish I can pay someone to do it for me...lol. Im not too knowledgeable on making baby food. But I will whip u up a mean rice and beans and typical hispanic dinner. :( For my 15y/o I depended on Gerber and jarred food. now things have changed. any suggestions?
    elyssaNtaryn

Answer by elyssaNtaryn at 3:40 AM on May. 21, 2010

• http://www.superbabyfood.com/ and http://www.babyledweaning.com/ for food guidance

for the eczema, no dairy; keep baths short, cool and infrequent; put coconut oil on the afflicted areas.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It's not hard to give a baby food if you stop thinking of it as "baby food" and think of it as the food you eat just in smaller pieces. There is no need to fuss with recipes or freezing or food mills unless you WANT to. It is much like you can go all out and make a fruit salad, or just eat the fruit one piece at a time. The jarred stuff you see in the store is a marketing ploy. People are so used to seeing and hearing "baby food" that they forget that if they just mash a carrot with a fork the baby can eat it. You don't need to puree food into oblivion either. If the baby can sit up unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and is making chewing motions (happens between 6 and 9 months) they can handle food with substance. in any case, solids before 1 is just for fun and not nutrition. Babies don't digest solids very well...that's why the poops come out so...interesting.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:01 AM on May. 21, 2010

• For the excema it also helps to immersion bath as infrequently as you can. A quick plain water sponge bath is fine. A wee bit of soap only as necessary. Daily baths are not needed and can dry out skin and make flare ups. Get rid of all baby lotions, powders, and baby oils. They are really bad for the skin. Pure oils like coconut, olive, ore shea butter are nice and non toxic if you need something. Also check your detergent. An experiment to see if there is residue on your clothes is to put in a load without detergent and wash it. If you see suds and bubbles...you have detergent build up. That can be irritating. Switch to a more natural detergent and use 1- 2 tablespoons per load...not the recommended amounts. Washing soda can boost cleaning power and vinegar is a far better fabric softener and it clears away residue.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:06 AM on May. 21, 2010

• What soaps/lotions/shampoos are you using? We had to get my kids the California Baby brand, it's all natural and made especially for kids with eczema. All 3 of mine have some sort of skin condition be it eczema or keratosis pilaris (which is very similar to eczema) and the california baby works well for them. You can buy it at Target.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:13 AM on May. 21, 2010