i have a serious question....Why do people SHAVE their baby daughters heads?

My SIL does this to her daughters when they are like 6 months... completely buzz it off?!

I've known a few people that do this and they have all been mexican, is it a cultural thing or something??

i do NOT understand it. I asked her brother who is my SO and he said he has no idea why she does this... he thinks its strange to.

So question, why do people do this and does anyone else think its strange? or am i the only one??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:56 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's strange to me. Ask her why she does it. I once had a neighbor who was Russian and she shaved all 5 of her girls heads because one of them had lice. I guess she didn't know that they make shampoo now for that. Poor babies, it was winter too
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 2:59 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I've seen this in middle eastern and hispanic cultures, and I have no idea why
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:01 AM on May. 21, 2010

• They believe it will make their hair grow in thicker. Which is unfounded. You either have it or you don't. My family always said, wait until the baby is over a year old before you cut it and it will be thick and strong. Well, my hair and my son's is thick, but, I don't think it is because we waited. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 AM on May. 21, 2010

• They do it in India too, they think that it will make the hair grow back thicker and faster.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I've never seen this, but that is interesting.....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:51 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It's a hispanic thing. It's supposed to make their hair come in thicker.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I've heard the same, that they think it will make the hair thicker. My brother is from Cambodia and he wanted to do this to my nephew. I don't remember if they did or not (he's 6 now).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:28 AM on May. 21, 2010

• They do that in Asian cultures too. I think it's supposed to shave off the baby hair that is just going to get rubbed off in weird patterns anyway and encourage more even hair growth.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:59 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I have seen several babies with hair like Smeagel or "Gollum" on Lord of the Rings. Trust me, you'd rather see a buzzed baby than a baby with hair like the crypt keeper... glad my mom kept mine short when I was a baby, for sure!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:15 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I believe it's done to remove the baby hair and let the hair grow thicker.!
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 9:20 AM on May. 21, 2010