Has your child repeated Kindergarten?

My childs teacher suggested this week that my daughter repeat Kindergarten. I dont like the idea at all but Its gonna be up to the principal to make the final decision at a meeting on monday. My child was tested she doesnt have a learning disability. Her teacher said the past month shes finally getting things but, thinks if she goes to 1st grade she will lose her cof and wont be able to keep up. I dont know what to do, I dont like the idea of someone else deciding whats best for my daughter. Any Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on May. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My child has not repeated kindergarten. However, here is some food for thought. Will it cause any problems down the road if your daughter repeats kindergarten? Likely not. Will it cause problems down the road if she moves to first grade before she is ready? Most likely yes. Is she immature? Is she younger than most of her peers? Will a second chance really hurt her?
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 4:17 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would personally try to avoid it. She must be 6 by now? She'll know and so will her class mates. What is your schedule like? Could you possibly homeschool her over the summer and have them re-evaluate her next fall? What exactly is the problem? Is it reading,or math? There are all kinds of thing you could do to help her. Home schooling is fun, especially when they're still little. It can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want, and would only take 15-20 minutes per day, per subject. If you're interested in exploring that option, ask another question about it and you'll be flooded with web sites, tips and idea's.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yes she turned 6 in april. She has been getting extra help at school she was pulled out for reading help and also in speech and getting help in math, So she was not really in the class a lot. But she got tested and speech/lang she doesnt need anymore. She knows 20 sight words, all her letters and sounds. Math Im not sure about. She can read a little. I think kindergarten is much harder these days then back when I was in school. Her teacher said shes just now getting alot of the stuff and is proud of her self and thinks 1st grade will knock her cof and self esteem down if she cant keep up. My daught was there at the same school for pre-k and she knows the kids. I think it will hurt her cof if shes sees her friends go to 1st grade and she doesnt, I honestly dont think she needs another year of kindergarten, I was going to ask the same thing if they could test her in the summer. i think will 11 days of school left is late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Not kindergarten, but another elem. school grade. It was absolutely the best thing for her. Had we gone ahead and sent her to the next grade, I know she wouldnt have been able to keep up. I was very worried about the self-image issues and that kids might pick on her but we had almost no problems in either of those areas. Besides she goes to school to get EDUCATED and what is best for her education has to come before the other concerns. Listen to her teacher with an open mind. I find that generally teachers don't recommend retaining a child unless theres a good reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Me again, I just wanted to add that retaining her in kindergarten will be a whole lot easier than having to do it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade when the kids will be much crueller about it. I wish we had known about my daughters problems earlier so we could have done it sooner. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't understand why the teacher is just now telling you this? There should have been an intervention earlier in the year. I feel that it's not just up to the teachers to teach but the parents also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I never had this problem, but did you allow your child to attend preschool so she could be prepared for kindergarten? I was always told that preschool will give the child the ability to be ready for kindergarten.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:37 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i would work on sight words a lot this summer. my SS is finishing kindergarten now. he has 38 sight words in his Fast pile - meaning he can look at them and say them without sounding them out. and the 26 other sight words we either haven't practiced lately (because i think some will be in the fast pile today after school) or he can sound them out. he has started reading. he does pretty well with the Stepping into Reading level 1 books at walmart. he can read harder books with help, but as more confidence with the lower level. He can spell all his fast pile words - even on paper. Math wise, we haven't practiced at home as much as i would like but, his teacher didn't send homework home EVER. However SS is learning and doing well. on that note, he has only started reading at home in the last month or so...thus i think some bloom later than others. However, without knowing really where she is, its hard to say. cont.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Personally it sounds like she has needed A LOT of assistance for kindergarten. And they cover SOOOO much in 1st grade. I am not saying there is anything wrong with needing extra help, my SD has been in and out of intervention for reading and she is in the lower bracket of her class in math and reading. She has made major improvements. HOWEVER, it has taken A LOT of work on her and my part to help her. I do my best to stay as involved as possible in my SKs education in school and at home. We are going to be doing Reading and other educational activities all summer. There are a couple reading programs they want to do, but I am going to work on math with them as well. If you can really devote your time to her to help her this summer, she might be ready come fall....you could also see if they reccommend any steps you can take this summer.....maybe a tutor...GOOD LUCK!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:06 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It is in your daughter's best interest to repeat kindergarten if she does not have the skills needed to do first grade work. Some children just need more time to mature. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Also, older children always do better. The goal is for your daughter to be successful and feel good about herself. Placement in first grade when she does not have the skills to succeed can cause frustration and discipline problems. You need to consider your daughter's physical, emotional, intellectual and social development when you consider grade placement.

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 11:35 AM on May. 21, 2010