My 22 month old will not get rid of the bottle of milk at night!

She will not go to sleep without one. And if I put water in it, she screams and screams. Same with being in the car. I had to move back home with my parents, since I am a single mom and lost my job, and they overstep my parenting when it comes to that. My mother had me on the bottle until I was 3. My daughter wakes up at night screaming and the only thing that will calm her, a bottle of milk. I've tried sippy cups during the day with milk and water both, she doesn't like milk in any of the different sippys I've tried. And at bedtime & naptime, she won't stop screaming and she won't fall asleep until its the milk bottle. When she wakes up at night I know she needs to be comforted but the only thing that does it is that milk bottle. She wakes up 2-4 times at night. Should I consult a doctor? I just need tips, advice, anything. I brush her teeth multiple times a day in fear of bottle rot. My friends are livid over it. Please help

b_pacheco

Asked by b_pacheco at 4:11 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its simple just dont give it to her only give her a cup and tell her its a big girl bottle. Sure you will have to deal with the crying and screaming. But i am sure every bottle giving mom has went through this. Throw out all of them so you will not give in. She will eventually go to sleep she will not cry all night. Before you know it she will forget all about the bottle.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 4:46 AM on May. 21, 2010

• So I should suck it up lol? I hate to hear her sob. especially at bed time. And like I said, I live with my parents and they get so furious when I don't give her the bottle. It just causes fights. I think I'm still trying to hold on to that baby part of her since she's growing up so fast and she is the only child I plan on having.
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 4:53 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I am worried about her teeth. After you brush them at night, the only thing she should have is water. From a general health standpoint, she doesn't need to have milk.

I would get rid of the bottles and the milk. Take her to the store, and let her pick out a couple of cute stainless steel water bottles. Don't buy milk for a couple of weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I agree I am worried about her teeth, going to sleep with milk will really hurt them because of the calcium, and I would just trash the bottles and make sure she sees them go in the trash. Let her pick out her own cup and maybe she will take that. She will probably cry the first few nights and it will hurt you (and your mother) but it will be worth it in the end.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Aa long as your parents override you on this one, she will never give it up.Hey show them some pics of bottle rot teeth on a baby.Maybe then they will agree with you.and throw those bottles away.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:52 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The reality is that you are her mom and your parents should be able to respect it, So maybe you need to be more firm about it. Tell them, "What may be right for you is not the same for me and I am her mother and I don't appreciate you undermining my decisions." Maybe even get some research off the Internet or speak to a professional.

You should definitely try to break the habit with her as she needs to learn to find other ways of self-comforting. Imagine her still doing this aged 5!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Just don't give it to her. It's not her job to get rid of the bottle (look at the way you worded the question). It's YOUR job. Don't give it to her. She's almost 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Throw them all away, so your parents can't give it to her. She's way to old for it. She will get over it
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:13 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Wow. I think you just need to be firm and get rid of them... she'll cry for a few nights but she'll get over it. Just throw them out so that you don't have a week moment and give it back to her... and neither can a granparent. Not only is she way too old for a bottle at night but she is also WAY WAY too old to be waking up that often at night..... sometimes a child this age might wake up once at night... but that SHOULD'T be the norm... and 2-4 times is WAY too many.
    She is also old enough now to learn to drink from a regular cup... which I would do since she is so attached to her bottle, you don't want to have the same fight with a sippy cup in a few months.
    My son is 22 months as well, I know how stubborn they can be about things... but it will only get worse the longer you wait.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:56 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would throw out all the bottles and tell your parents that this may take about a week to get over. She will eventually learn to sleep without it. This is hard and I know that from personal experience. My LO couldn't sleep without her paci in her mouth. If it fell out she would wake up screaming and then no one would sleep. We took it away and a week later she was sleeping on her own all night long. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:42 AM on May. 21, 2010