Do you think my son's dr will write about a prescription for me?

I've been sick for 3 weeks bc I can't afford the dr. Now my son is sick and he has insurance. Do you think they will write me a prescription for antibiotics when I take him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Health

• Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. A prescription for them should not be written without confirmation, such as a positive strep test.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Probably not but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Chances are they will not be able to use your son's insurance to write out a prescription for you nor would they even be able to see you since technically you are not their patient, but at the very least they might be able to give you some recommendations on what to do or where to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Would they write out a prescription in your son's name with the intention of you taking it? God, I hope not considering that is INSURANCE FRAUD! Antibiotics are very inexpensive. You can get Amoxicillin filled at Wal-Mart for $4.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:52 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My kids' dr has never wrote me a prescription but has given me alot of samples...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:09 AM on May. 21, 2010

I had just been wondering the same thing myself.  A couple kids that we have been spending a LOT of time with both now have strep throat. Now my kids have woke up with fevers and sore throats (and me too!!) SO, I was wondering if, when I take them in, and they all test positive for strep, will the doctor be so kind to write 4 RX's, one each for my kids, and one for me too?? I can pay the $4.00 at Walmart... its the $65 office visit charge (plus cost of the strep test) that I have a problem coming up with.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• OP- I don't want him to write in my son's name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on May. 21, 2010

• when my kids tested positive for the swine flu, the doctor wrote us all prescriptions since we all had the same symptoms. He said it would be unlikely that 3 of 4 would have the flu and the 4th to have something different since we were all living together and were sick at exactly the same time.

If your son has something that is highly contagious (like strep throat, or the flu) and you have the exactly same symptoms, you can probably talk them into giving you an RX too.

Good Luck! Hope you feel better soon!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Possibly. It really depends on your physician's disposition and how close of a relationship you have with him/her. ATB, not a big deal. Until your allergies act up and you have a reaction and end up in the ER and they ask " Who is your Dr.?" and you say " I don't have one" and they ask " Who gave you this script? " and then they read the name on the bottle.........You see where I'm goin with this?
    It really just depends on how much a risk is the professional willing to take for a non paying patient. Not likely if your not established.
    ******Just a note----------It continually amazes me at just how little thought a person puts into their healthcare. That a person really believes that all a Dr. needs to do, is do what they ask. Like writing a script for the same thing as a relative.

No documentation, No history, No exam...............It's not that easy folks.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:10 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't know if he would have the extra time to examine you and write an Rx for you--- especially when your child is the one on his schedule for the day. I suppose you could ask, but don't be surprised if the doctor does not (as you are not his patient). Your best bet is to go to a walk in clinic (if your doctors office has one) or contact a doctor and set up your own appointment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 21, 2010

• OP- I'm not an idiot. I realize my best option is to see my own dr. But I would like to keep my car and phone as well. Oh and car insurance, I hear that's pretty important. I'm broke! With no insurance. I cannot afford to see my own dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 21, 2010