Is it true that you are supposed to completely stop drinking coffee during pregnancy or is it safe to have one or two a day?

I am about three weeks pregnant and have been drinking 1 to 2 cups per day.

Joders82

Asked by Joders82 at 8:02 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you can one, but 2 probally won't hurt any, might get a little 'kicky', down the road from time to time but whatever, ahy. I drank one to 2 every now & then.Solute' All 4 of my pregnancies went very well.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:07 AM on May. 21, 2010

• its best to wean yourself off, if you are able.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I think it is fine in moderation once a day or every now and then is fine, maybe switch to decaff if you get too concerned.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:16 AM on May. 21, 2010

• A cup or two of coffee is fine, just watch your overall caffeine consumption. Remember that chocolate, soda and tea also have caffeine. Talk to your OB about it, he/she will give you a good idea for how much caffeine you should have in a day.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:17 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The Atlanta news station just aired a story about a study showing low birth weights for women who consumed a lot of caffeine. I didn't catch the whole story though... I agree with anon above who said: "its best to wean yourself off, if you are able."

I did drink some beverages with caffeine while pregnant, but I was able to break the "every day" habit of it.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my last child the doctor said that coffee was ok--- in moderation. (you may want to ask your ob/gyn if this is still true). You could also try switching to decaf or one of the popular brands (I forgot which) has a half-caf (less caffeine)- that way you still have your coffee taste but not as much caffeine to worry about.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i was a big coffee drinking before pregnancy and for the first couple of months i tried only once a day. but then i got the icetea craving so that is what i drank. it was fine. everything in moderation and she is fine. i looked it up online on what beverage has so much caffeine too. check with your doctor too.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:34 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I'm not a doctor but as long as your blood pressure is healthy.I don't think a little coffee every now and then would hurt anything.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:37 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I was told a cup a day was fine, or a can of soda, but not both. I quit cold turkey when I became pregnant with my first. I had horrible morning sickness. I weaned myself before getting pregnant with my second and didn't have any morning sickness. I think, for me anyway, they were related. At the same time I was pregnant, my husband's aunt was pregnant. She drank 2-3 sodas every day and her son, now 10, still bounces off the walls and runs her ragged. I think there's a correlation. Cut back as much as you can, but one here or there isn't going to hurt anyone.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:42 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't think its fine at all. I would go without.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:51 AM on May. 21, 2010