Is it common to have a thin cervix?

I had a leep procedure done when I was a teen. My daughter came 4 wks early, and now I'm 23 wks preg with a boy. My doc said I had a thin cervix but didn't seem as concerned as my doc with my first child was. I even had to have shots to help my daughters lungs develop better. Is there anyone else out there going through the same thing?

Gonna-hav-A-BOY

Asked by Gonna-hav-A-BOY at 8:39 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• wow, i find this strange of your doc. i only say this bc i dont know how serious you condition is, or how short your cervix is, but from my own experience, my doc herself had a short cervix so she didnt take it as lightly when they discovered i had a shorter cervix than i was supposed to. in my first pregnancy she noticed it a little late like 18 weeks and she went ahead with a cerclage (a stitch to keep the cervix closed until delivery) and she said she didnt do them after 20 weeks bc of the risks for contractions and such. and with my second, she didnt even give it a second thought before stitching me up at 13 weeks, she says that once the cervix is shortened, it will always be that way. so with this being your second maybe he should be recommending some bed rest or something since its past the 20 week mark. but you should really be cautious even if he isnt. not scared, but be aware and know when u need to lay down.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:23 AM on May. 21, 2010