homeschooled kids

Do they go to "school" yearround,or do they get summers off like kids in regular schools? Or perhaps go to camp or a similar thing?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:12 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I go year round. That way you don't have to spend extra time reviewing everything they forgot over the summer.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:50 AM on May. 21, 2010

• the ones i know get the summer off. they are on their own schedule, though. i do know one family, just one teenager...she set her own schedule one year, and fell behind and had to make up for it during the summer.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It varies from family to family. I would venture to say that the vast majority follow a typical public school schedule in this regard, although I do know that some families do school year round, and many of the families who do, their children graduate earlier than typical. I was homeschooled, we had our summers off school.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:25 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I know some that do both. Probably most take the summer off though, or at least do very little school during the summer. I'll probably do some through the summer, I don't want my son to forget what he's been learning. Although at this point he is only 4 and all he's learning is phonics and some simple math, plus we don't do it everyday anyway. But I'm imagining that I'm probably starting a pattern that will continue as long as I homeschool.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:40 AM on May. 21, 2010

• This is my first year homeschooling, we are not planning on doing a set curriculum during the summer like we do during the "school year" but we still do educational activities (reading, writing, math games, puzzles, trips to museums, art projects) on a daily basis.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My kids are pretty young...preschool/kinder ages. So for now we are schooling the whole year through. It is not good for this age to have a big break like that. Our school for this age only takes about 30-40 minutes a day. So we do it after breakfast and then get on with the rest of our day. If we have a crazy week then we call it a vacation week and just skip it for that time. They are too young to know any different. When they get older we may change it . But is works for us for now.
    I know a variety of homeschoolers..they have all different schedules. But most do follow the public schools schedule just to make it easier on them.
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 11:14 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Honestly that is totally depended on each family. Some families homescool all year, others set their schedule up like their local school district. Others may not homeschool all year, but their schedule is slightly different then their local school district. If they go to summer camps, VBS, or any other activity again is totally depended on the individual family. Honestly NOT every family that chooses to send their kids to public/private school send them or sign them up for summer camps or thing of that nature. We are one of those families that homeschool all year. (There are public schools that have school ALL year too). Our lessons, book work is generally done in 3-4 hours. This leaves us with more then enough time to do typical summer activities like going to the beach, going to the pool, playdates at the park, and other summer activities. The pool around here doesn't even up open up to the public until AFTER NOON. cont.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:37 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Continue: Seeing the pool doesn't even open up till AFTER NOON we can spend our morning at home doing book work. Or if we choose to do something in the morning, then we do our bookwork in the afternoon. We still have activities and other things to do, such as bowling, meeting up with friends, going places, etc. The pool here is totally FREE that's part of reason it doesn't open until AFTER NOON. Besides, the pool I have activities line up every week to meet up with our friends and other homeschoolers. They include things like swimming, bowling, going to concerts, watching professional skiers, play date at the park, going to museums, etc. Everything on our list is FREE! They also do sports. soccer, baseball, and gymnastics. We pay for the sports. We can do all of those things and some bookwork everyday.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2010

• my kids are in public school but this year i'm going to start summer schooling them. the school jumps to much and if you child falls behind they are never able to catch back up without a lot of extra help. which we are thinking about pulling our kids out of public school just for this reason (and others that have come up). with the no child left behind they are just pushing kids through school and they are not learning what they need to.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 1:43 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We've been homeschooling for 10 years and we tend to follow the public school's schedule when it comes to vacations. My kids have many friends that attend public or private schools and they like to be able to spend more time with them during the summer. I don't have much of a problem with them retaining what they learned the year before.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:35 PM on May. 21, 2010