Crushed dreams in the gulf.... Is there any hope?

Now that the oil is hitting the shore, the impact looks like it will devastate the environment there. I have been saving and dreaming about the day I would be able to move my kids back down there. I mish being near the gulf. Now I feel like that is a lost dream. By the time I am able to go back, the white sandy beaches of my youth, will be all black and the life that makes that area so beautiful will be all dead.

I have a T shirt I got on my last visit to the beach on the east coast that I love. It has a sea turtle and it say "life begins at the beach". I may just have to focus on finding housing on the east coast, but I had really hoped to go back to the gulf because that is where I lived growing up. I wanted my kids to have the same beautiful memories of growing up at the beach that I have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When I first heard about the oil spill my first reaction was to tear up and I've been sad about it since. People haven't even realized what's happening yet. I'm Alaskan and remember (who could forget?) the devastation of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Everything is going to die, or be sickened. People's livelihoods will be destroyed. Even animals that you don't automatically connect to the water will be effected. The oil spill is horrific and the sandy beaches should be the least of your concerns right now. 15-20 from now you'll still be able to walk around and flip over rocks and find oil. We still do here in AK.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on May. 22, 2010

• No we will all die....... For Petes sake
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:31 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I dunno where you were thinking of, but as far as I can tell, the beaches here in St. Pete are still white and sandy. We're afforded a bit of protection by the loop current that is picking the oil up and dragging it down to the keys and back up the eastern seaboard. Now I don't know if that's going to be an indefinite thing, but for now they're still clean and clear.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:55 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Oh man... i have a big vacation in Destin FL end of August. I really hope the beaches will be OK!!!!! They are some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen! Whtie sandy beaches, dolphins & porpus's swimming close to the shore line! I REALLY hope my vacation spot will not become an oily mess!!!!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:57 AM on May. 21, 2010

• GRAND ISLE, La. – The spectacle many had feared for a month finally began unfolding as gooey, rust-colored oil washed into the marshes at the mouth of the Mississippi for the first time, stoking public anger and frustration with both BP and the government.

The sense of gloom deepened as BP conceded what some scientists have been saying for weeks: that the oil leak at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico is bigger than the company previously estimated.

Up to now, only tar balls and a sheen of oil had come ashore. But on Wednesday, chocolate brown and vivid orange globs, sheets and ribbons of foul-smelling oil the consistency of latex paint began coating the reeds and grasses of Louisiana's wetlands, home to rare birds, mammals and a rich variety of marine life
    Anonymous

way to go Steph. I can't imagine being so cold hearted.
    Anonymous

• I dunno where you were thinking of, but as far as I can tell, the beaches here in St. Pete are still white and sandy.

We're from Gulf Breeze
    Anonymous

• LOL, No anon... its not the white sand itself that I am worried about. It is the whole ecological system.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 23, 2010