Anyone in charge of hiring at their job or has a SO who is? Please ask them this...

DO you/they discriminate (knowing or unknowingly) based on first name. Would a boy named, say, Leather or Dragon or a girl named Byrd or Apple be put at the bottom f the stack even if their credentials were solid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I asked my husband who does hire people under him.. He said..

"i don't care if his name is sh*thead, if he can do the job and do it well, that's all I care about.."
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 10:34 AM on May. 21, 2010

• If the interview was not outstanding, probably, because most likely, people interested in being a professional horse trainer wouldn't come from families naming their children thus.

However, I have seen Tripp, Trace, and Kiau (Ky-ya) all come out as horsemen...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:34 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Depends on the job applied for.

I was in charge at a Spencer Gifts. We didn't care about that. However, if you are applying for a very professional job in the public...I bet they do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i used to participate in hiring with a few different jobs. the name comes from the parents...i would not focus on that. i would focus on work ethics, and dedication.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:04 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Companies like their employees to project a certain image, one that reflects well on the company. I'd imagine that if you had 2 equally qualified candidates - one named John and one named Dragon, 99% would make an offer to John. There are many inequalities in hiring that are impossible to prove and thus happen every day. People not getting hired because of obesity (because it would in theory drive up insurance claims), people being hired over someone else because they're more attractive (and therefore might drive higher sales), etc etc etc. Happens every day but since those cases can rarely if ever be proven, it continues. That's why it's so important for parents to take the responibility of naming their child seriously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 21, 2010

• For my DH it is all about the experience, then credentials. Name and personal style don't matter. That said, DH's Job does not involve representing the company in public in any way. If it did, that might make a difference.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I hired people at one job a while back, and my husband does now. Neither of us care about the name. Like Ren Ren said, even if it's sh*thead, I'd hire him, I'd just ask him to put something else on the name tag so as not to offend anyone :-) I focused more on their experience, and if they were honest on the application than the name they had no control over.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:09 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I used to hire at my job before I had my youngest. I didn't really care what their name was, if they could do the job and do it well - they were hired. I might think it was a little odd, but I wouldn't hesitate to call them for an interview if they looked like a good candidate.

Answer by missanc at 11:17 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would care. I belive that names are a big deal. If you do not have one suitable for the job you are in then please go by a nickname or a middle name. I do not want the person who handles my money to be named "Dragon" or some other such stuff. But if I wanted a Tattoo I wouldn't mind if his name was Dragon.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:57 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I have many years of HR experience. Honestly, "unique" names get made fun of in staff meetings, but do not affect hiring.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on May. 22, 2010