Ladies, before raising a child today, do you really have what it takes?

I mean honestly, in order for a child to survive in these times or drugs, alcohol, violence, sex on tv, etc.. do you really feel you have what it takes to raise a successful child through this stuff? I don't think so from reading these posts. It's going to take an awful strong woman to discipline, follow through and make sure your children are "not" societies problems. I am not seeing alot of children doing much with their lives these days. It seems like the kids that go far are the ones who were raised up in strict homes with strict rules and STRICT enforcement, yes where crying it out was something we lived with, where you did not cater to your child... rather HE catered to you. It's scary what I see out there today with kids.... I shudder to think where they will be in 18 years... prison ??? Seriously, do you think you have what it takes?? It's tough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sure do! We are very consistent with our son and will be with this baby too. He is required to follow rules, not throw fits and have respect for everyone. He is not allowed to be rude to people or animals BUT he is allowed to play and be a boy.

Too many parents in this generation don't want to 'hurt their kids' feelings' or 'make them mad at me'. Well guess what??? YOU are the parent... NOT their friend! You don't get to 'be the friend' while you are parenting! That is why we have so many RUDE, disrespectful kids out there! Kids with NO discipline! My children are disciplined and loved equally. We discipline BECAUSE we love!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:41 AM on May. 21, 2010

• mentally & emotionally...YES! Financially....NOPE!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Been doing it for 13 years.. So far so good..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 10:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I disagree. I see know MANY teens wo have graduated last year & are graduating this year who do nto have strict parents & are doing wonderful. So many of my friends kids are in college now & i can say, that i have some of the most LENIENT friends who are parents. The thing that matters most is that the child is loved & not spoiled. If you can manage to that, then most kids turn out OK. Of couse, with the idea that these children are coming from decent homes & not crack heads.

I just have to point out my that i know many young adults who are wonderful & dedicated human beings that i think will make a difference in this world. Not sure where you live, but where i live there are plenty of amazing young adults around. Maybe it's the people you hang out with?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• So... you're saying, unless you treat your kid like shit they'll go to prison?

No, honey. Making your kid "cry it out" and cater to your every whim is BAD parenting. And bad parenting will not ensure your child grows up to be an "asset to society".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yes, i do have what it takes! I am %100 sure of that too! While i may not be perfect (none of us are) i'm proud of myself when it comes to my parenting. My DD is a very well respected & a highly intelligent person who i know will go far.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:07 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Hmm. Not sure where you live, but I'm from Ireland - and my parents raised 5 kids without all the nasty parenting tehniques you mentioned and all 5 of us turned out great - no drug addicts, no smokers, no alcoholics, no arrests and no menacing to the society.
    We came from a loving home where we were listened to, and treated like equals - I plan to raise my kids the same.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:11 AM on May. 21, 2010

• now u tell me.....i have 3 kids oh the humanity....seriously to be honest why worry im sure if u raised them properly they will have enough common sence to not be that stupid to do that.
    lisa0821

Answer by lisa0821 at 10:15 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yes, I do because I had excellent parents and they raised 4 good girls. I am using their influences and values to raise my son.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:15 AM on May. 21, 2010

• You worry about your kids, I'll worry about mine, ok?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 21, 2010