baby carriers

i am about to have a baby and i have 2 yo twins. i am guessing that baby wearing is going to be pretty important with this baby. i have always used baby bjorns in the past, but am concerned about the pressure on the spine, and the hips. i tried a sling once, and found it very scary with a newborn. what have you moms used, wraps, slings etc, and how did you like them? dislike them?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 10:01 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wraps are good for all stages and most versatile, but have a learning curve to tie. Moby is stretchy and forgiving for beginners, but after around 13-15 lbs it is too stretchy and needs adjusting from time to time, that is why a non-stretch wrap is preferred for heavier babies -- but it is really a matter of preference. Ring slings can be used for newborns if worn properly and the newborn positioned correctly. There are also shallow pouches that work will for newborns and beginners. Avoid bag pouches like Infantino. If you go to youtube and search for squishymom there are several types demonstrated. Do your research!

I have four! A moby was invaluable in newborn stage because I was a raw beginner, then i moved to a non stretch wrap which I use for yard work, I use a mei tai for longer wearing for house chores on the back for naps, and a simple sarong/kanga for quick back ties on and off.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I used one with my youngest. I was Infantino brand (I think that is right). The whole thing is soft. The only downside is it was only good until 20lbs.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 10:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I plan on buying a Moby wrap when I have another child. Never tried anything other than a Bjorn type before and I hated those because their legs dangle and turn colors.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I used a Balboa sling ( I think it was around $150) for both of my sons. I loved it. I always hated the backpack type carriers, they look so uncomfortable and the baby looks pitiful with its little legs dangling lol.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:19 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I used the bjorns and LOVED it. Is there something that say its bad for their hips and back??
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 10:24 AM on May. 21, 2010

• the infantino slings were the ones that were in the news not too long ago and have been recalled so pp might want to check her model on the companies website, and it is recommended that you not use a sling for newborns. give the sling a couple weeks before you break it in. I have a pea in the pod style one that my mother in law made for me and I love it. it's the same as what you can order on their website, just not made by them. I also use a carrier by chicco and she really enjoys it too. It depends on what your goal is, the sling seems to be more calming and puts my dd to sleep every time, the carrier keeps her entertained and occupied.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:27 PM on May. 21, 2010

• For newborn, I prefer the Moby style wrap, and for 15lb+ I prefer a ring sling.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Styles of babywearing:    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles

I know people like Bjorns, but who wants to dangle from their crotch especially with a growing spine?

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:21 PM on May. 21, 2010