Giving fats to baby

We live a very natural lifestyle, and my 11 month old son is breastfed, and given homemade fruits and veggies, and a bit of oatmeal. Recently, I started to add a little coconut oil in with his baby food, and organic, grassfed butter into some veggies. Not to get him to eat it, but he doesn't have any fat in his diet except whats in my milk. He finally slept through the night!!! What I'm wondering, is if anybody else has done this, and if you have any tips for me. I also am giving him egg yolks and avocado... any other high fat/nutrient dense foods I can try? Thanks!! We do completely opposite of what the recommended feeding schedule is, so I don't need to know what "gerber" says I should do:)

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 10:08 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eggs should be completely avoided until after the first birthday, as well as any type of nut including coconut. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing great. I also added butter to my LO's veggies so that she could have some fats. I wish you luck. I would try to use olive oil instead of the coconut oil. I would be really concerned about food allergies.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:19 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It sounds to me like youre doing a great job all on your own! And you're very right about Gerber, they do NOT always know what is best for babies!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:21 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i think you are doing a good job! more than likely your milk has the fats he needs, unless he is eating lots of solids already : )
    once a week or so we gave our older infants fish oil.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:52 AM on May. 21, 2010

• You're perfect. Avocado is the only other thing I'd suggest. But that sleeping through the night thing? Heh heh...never publish that; he'll never do it again just to make a liar out of you. **grin**(NO foods made mine sleep...they do it despite what you do, not because of it.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:00 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Eggs don't have to be avoided until after the 1st bday - the AAP just put out a new statement that there's no need to delay any of the what are considered "allergenic" foods. When mine were young, the nutritionist recommended we add butter to their mashed potatoes, toast, etc. (I had the same "problem" you have in that we just don't generally have a lot of fat in our family's diet).

Answer by missanc at 11:04 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Egg yolks are fine; it is only the whites that should be avoided.

This is a great age to introduce hummus (at 14, my daughter still loves to have hard-boiled egg mashed with hummus).

You are doing a great job!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on May. 22, 2010