Too young to stay home alone?

I have an 11 yo, 10 yo, and 3 yo. Are they too young to stay home alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Id say too young. 11 years old is not old enough to handle an emergency situation that may come up.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• You're not serious?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The oldest is too young to be responsible for a 3 yr old unless he/she has gone through the babysitting classes but I don't know the state will let an 11 yr old take the class. Check with your state laws

Answer by admckenzie at 10:21 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would wait until the oldest is between 15 and 18.
    I would not let anyone younger than 15 babysit my kids, even if they were MY kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 21, 2010

• That is too young
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would say it depends on your kids. You know them. If I had responsible 10 and 11 year olds that got along i would leave them home with my three year old. But no matter how responsible, I would not leave them home with my two year old. He is just a little crazy man and it wouldn't be fair, no matter how responsible the older kids are to expect them to watch him.
    So, depends on your kids personalities and how they all mesh together is how I see it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would let them for a quick trip to the store / bank. For under 1 hour.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:24 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't' think so but I was latch key at 7 yo with a sister who was 5 yo. I have friends who run errands with their 10 yo, 7 yo and 4 yo old at home. They are only gone for 30-45 mins.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:31 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Legally, yes. I live in PA. Here it is illegal to leave anyone under the age of 13 home alone for any amount of time. And no one under 15 in allowed to be left in charge of other children - 16 if they aren't siblings..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I think the 10 and 11 yr old could be left home for short times if they are responsible. I wouldnt leave them home with the 3 yr old.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2010