are/were u an immigrant who doesn t speak english fluently?

I m one and i wanna know how do u feel?how do u behave in front of pepole?do u feel embarassed when u missed up?or what was ur experience? how did u improve ur speaking?

Imane1215

Asked by Imane1215 at 10:31 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you are a legal immigrant, you have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. I think a lot of adult education places offer ESL classes, or perhaps the local library.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:43 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I am not an immigrant, and I am fluent in English. However, I am capable of speaking French in conversation.

But, one of my very best friends is Portugese, and she speaks English better and better every day. The more people you talk to, the more conversation you have, the more you "practice" the better you will become. It helps too, to have a friend that can bear with you and help you along, correcting you, and giving instruction.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I am an immigrant but I'm from Britain so english isn't a problem lol.  I recommend some english classes for immigrants.  It will help to assimilate and you might make some friends too.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:52 AM on May. 21, 2010

• OP: Je te remercie pour tes conseils. Le probleme c'est que je je n'ai pas d'amis ici. Ca fait 1 ans que j'y suis, je suis tombee enceinte le premier mois de mon arrivee, je n ai pas eu le temps de faire des amis ainsi que mes voisins sont plus ages que moi ce qui fait je n ai personne a parler avec.j'ai pris des cours d'ESL pour 2 mois. Je ne dis pas que ne peux pas avoir une conversation en anglais mais j'ai du mal a parler sans faire des pauses et reflechir a ce que je dois dire et parfois je commis des fautes que je reconnais sur le champ, mais bon je n'y peux rien.
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 10:53 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My mother and her family were. They came her from Germany, spoke no English, went to school and built amazing lives (without public aid)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I am from Croatia. I speak mainly Croatian, including in public, but when I need to I do speak English. My children still do not speak English, they are 3 and 1. They will learn when they go to school, our church has a private school with all Croatian students and they teach English to them. I have been in this country since 1995 when I was 12 and I am a college educated woman. I just prefer to speak my native language and I live in a community where everyone around me still speaks it, we shop at Croatian owned businesses and we eat at Croatian restauraunts. This seems to offend most Americans, they tell me on this site to go back to Croatia if I want to live around other Croatians. I saw them mistreat a Japanese woman once for the same reason. She lives in a Japanese community, sends her children to a Japanese school, etc.. We may be from other countries but that doesn't mean that we HAVE to assimilate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I am not embarrassed and never have been when I speak. If Americans laughed because I made mistakes that was on them, not on me, because I was learning. Now I speak it well and speak with just a small accent. I am only around English speaking people at work though (medical profession) so it's not a big issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 22, 2010