Bank accounts??

Do u have a joint bank account with ur DH? Legally, having a personal account does mean that the money belongs only to the account holder or both of u?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• All of our accounts are joint, and both of our names are on everything we own (house, cars, credit cards, ect.). Im pretty sure that only the account holder has access to the account.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:56 AM on May. 21, 2010

• we have a joint for our 9-5 pay and we also both have prepay cards that we put our business money on.. whatever commission i get i keep and same for him..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:21 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We have a joint account where all the money goes. Then we both still have our own accounts from before we were married. I never use my account. I think it has like $50 in it. My husband has a credit card with that account and if he wants to buy something I don't know about (like a gift for me) then he uses that card and I'll transfer the money over later for him to pay it off.
    Anonymous

• Marriage conjoins your finances, regardless of whose name the account is in, so legally you can access anything with your husband's name anytime you want. In fact, if you were clever enough to take your husband's name, you are legally 'him' in all financial dealings, so you can pretty much do whatever you want... of course, for the same reason, so can he.

It takes faith and a lot of healthy communication to merge two people's finances into one... but it happens legally whether you bother to work as a team or pretend you're opponents.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:12 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Both. I had a joint accoutn with my husband. Then I got a letter from Bank of America. Stating that they were withdrawing 7,000 for his debt. In california once you add someone to an account the only way to remove them is to close the account, So I had to close my account even though I was getting direct deposit and my son's SSI to that account. It was a huge ordeal but yes it'll belong to both of you.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:00 PM on May. 21, 2010