Disabled babysitters.

Would you have a babysitter that was parapelgic???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• If she could do the job, sure..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 10:41 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It would depend on the age of my kid. Would I have one right now-no. My son is two and a half and needs someone to be able to keep up with him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Hell no... I need to know if something goes wrong that the sitter is able to jump in to action...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:53 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My sons are 2 and 4 they need someone who is able to physically keep up with them so no.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:54 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It would depend on the child's age and the caregiver's capabilities. My dad is a paraplegic; he became paralyzed after a car wreck when I was 2 1/2.  He did babysit for me some when my oldest daughter was preschool age and older, and I felt like it was a win-win situation for both of them.  Of course, it didn't seem strange or scary to me since he also took care of me at that age.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:12 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Depends on the age of the child....if the child was under the age of 6 or 7 no probably not...the child needs to be old enough to communicate and hold his own if something should happen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 21, 2010

• yeah just because they are paralyzed doesn't mean they can't keep up with the kids. I have a paralyzed friend who has three small kids and she handles them just fine.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:51 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It depends on how severe and the age of the children..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:59 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Seriously?
    Anonymous

• Why not? I would expect that you're talking about someone who is already able to do everything needed in a household, or who has the capacity to understand her (his?) limitations and work around them...

It's an interesting idea: it's not possible to take care of kids without functioning legs. I know a blind mother of twins, another blind mother with two different aged kids, a blind and deaf mother with one child... and can't see how being parapalegic would be worse than any of those...

I don't think anyone needs to 'keep up with' a toddler. I think parents (and their hired substitutes) need to be able to head them off, keep them safe and troubleshoot likely problems to stop them from happening before they start. But both my kids were totally capable of running a lot faster than me at that age, particularly if I was foolish enough to look away to give them a head start...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:10 PM on May. 21, 2010