Anyone's family think they are sooo weird for only wanting 1 kid?

I have 1 daughter and honestly do not want anymore. I want to do fun things with her, take great trips, and send her off to a good college. My Mom thinks DH and I are soooo weird for not having more than 1. She seems to think it's the 1980's and raising a family is cheap or something?! Anyone's family this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• DH's side would be appalled, considering DH's brother, who is only 27 and 3 years older already has 5 children, 6 if you were to count the miscarry, and were already done before our child was born... DH has 6 brothers and sisters, so a big family is relatively expected.

My side, however, is a different story. My grandma didn't want kids at all, ended up with 4 girls. So, the girls all having between 4 and 6 kids, she has plenty of grandkids to go around. Now that some of the grandkids are old enough to have children, my grandmother is trying to step in and inform us all that we shouldn't be having children in our generation due to the economy, and the state of the world is in such shambles we shouldn't bring children into the world period.

Did that answer your question? lol..
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• WE ONLY HAVE ONE AND FROM THE LOOK OF IT THE CONS OF HAVING ANOTHER IS OUTWEIGHING THE PROS. ME AND DH NEVER HAD MUCH (GROWING UP )SO WE TRY AND DO ALLOT OF THINGS WITH HER AND IF WE HAD ANOTHER CHILD IT WOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE (FINANCIALLY) .MY DD IS ALMOST 4 AND SHE STILL WAKES UP IN THE NIGHT ....SO I WOULD BE DOOMING MYSELF BY HAVING ANOTHER CHILD!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I think its weird too. Having babies is a blessing from GOD what would make u happier than being with ur kids, seeing them smiling, playing,.. With that said, I don t say that u have to have many but 2 or 3 kids is perfect family. I only have one baby boy that I LOVE TO DEATH, mu DH says that we may not have another one and that makes me sad. I hope I ll have another baby, it is the joy of my life.
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I have only one child and that is the only one I am having. My hubby and I didn't plan for this one and my son gets great care but with the world now days OMG no way no more children. I am already having issues with worry about kidnapping and sending my kids to school wondering if he will be safe?
    Yeah 1 child is enough for us. He will be spoiled and have lots of friends over to the house. Plus we are struggling now just to pay bills and put food on the table.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I never wanted any... Now I have number 3 on the way... My mother says you aren't a real parent til you have at least 4. But I don't see why anyone would TRY for more than one... I know we sure didn't. Hell, we did everything to make sure we didn't have any, and yet... 3... So WTH?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• yes, I feel the same as OP. I have one and want to enjoy each stage of his life with him not chasing a younger one around or carring diaperbags and strollers while trying to show the oldest one attention. Both sides of the family keep brining it up ocasionally and I have said this for 8 years, so not changing now. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Well, I'm an only child (which sucks!) so you can tell what my parents think about having more than 1 kid although they were thrilled when I found out I was having #2 and love my DD to death. My MIL doesn't get why we're getting DH fixed next month. She thinks we should have more so I lose either way.
    Anonymous

• I didn't want an only child...

I live with one already, and my dad was one: both dh and my dad extolled the horrors of growing up as the only child in a house, both hated the 'adults against the kids' whenever anything went wrong (both parents knew it wasn't them who drew on the newly painted walls with eyeliner), and never having anyone 'like them' to have to deal with all day every day for years... they both grew up knowing that they didn't know how to get along with their peers when it got rough, because they never had to --they could just walk away, ask the kid to go home, or otherwise bail anytime they felt like it.

If either dh or my dad had been even slightly okay with it, I might have considered it, but it seemed to me to be a major ripoff for the kid, however much it would have been infinitely easier on me.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:32 PM on May. 21, 2010