I realize how harmful it is to smoke during pregnancy and am trying to quit. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips that have worked for you when you quit smoking while pregnant?

I am about 3 weeks to a month pregnant and am trying hard to quit smoking but I need some help!

Joders82

Asked by Joders82 at 10:57 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lots of water, when you get the urge to smoke drink a glass of cold water and suck on a mint till the urge passes
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• it was soo hard for me to quit...for me it was the hand to mouth and also the boredom that i craved cigarettes the most for. what i did was got a huge bag of dumb dumb suckers. and instead of smokeing i used one of those for the hand to mouth..it worked wonders. i know some will say that the extra sugar is not good for you or the baby either but it is 10x's better than smoking while pregnant. and since i smoke menthol i chewed a lot of mint gum. try strong gums like icebreakers or something to that effect.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:14 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i just quit and dealt with it - i did cheat a couple times when i was really stressed out, just a couple puffs (stress not good for baby either...). the way i quit before pregnancy (i messed up and started again) was not focus on talking myself out of the cigarette but to move on to something else. focusing energy on the quitting just means that there is still energy focused on cigarettes... do a puzzle, cook something, get engrossed in something that you must actively participate in (i.e. not television or other passive activity). try to be aware of habits and associations with smoking so it doesn't sneak up on you - replace with a different habit.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:16 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It can be hard, it took me 3 months with both my kids. With my son it was easier as I was so sick for the first 2 months. I did cheat a few times with both kids. But for the most part I was smoke free. I couldn't even look at a cigarette without an image of my unborn with a smoke hanging out of their mouth.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2010

• for me i just couldnt smoke..everyime i lit one up i felt so guilty, i was apologizing to my tummy, i felt horrible. so i just stopped..yaa it was hard..especially cuz the day after i decided to quit, my bf left me..i was a wreck!! and it was tough, but i stayed home, i didnt go out anywhere for about a week, because i didnt want the temptation to be there, i didnt wanna see people smoking, i didnt want to smell it, nothing..just think about your baby, what he eat/drink/breathe/feel your baby is getting all the too. stick to it!! you can do it!!!! best of luck to you!! and by the way.congradulations! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:59 AM on May. 21, 2010

• morning sickness did it for me. Ciggys taste horrible after you puke. Good luck.
    BTW- cigs were 50 cents a pack and i also quit cuz they were getting to be to expensive
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:25 PM on May. 21, 2010

• ask your doc for the patch. Yes you still get nicotine but not all the other crap that is in cigarettes. It will help
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:27 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Really not trying to be harsh, but I think you should visit the nearest neo-natal unit and check out the 1 and 2 pound babies struggling to hold onto life due to low birth weight and lung malfunction. My sister-in-law REFUSED to quit smoking and my neice was born at 31 weeks, and weighed 2 lbs! Funny how once the baby comes, they ask how they can help them...seems obvious to me to just do your best to prevent the problem. Once you decide to create a baby..it's no longer about you.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 1:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Expect it to be uncomfortable and just stop picking them up and lighting them. Be strong, you can survive that much discomfort today in order to have a child who grows up with a live, healthy mother.

Creepiest story I ever heard about 'how can you even DO that?!?' was a woman dying of lung cancer... her 2 teenage daughters and her husband were in her hospital room along with my friend --one of the girls' friends. The 14yo daughter said 'can I borrow a smoke, dad, I'm out' and the dad HANDED HER A CIGARETTE OVER HER DYING MOTHER'S BODY. My friend was permanently appalled. She could not believe anyone would do that, and not even notice.

Not everyone dies of the effects of smoking, but it's a stupid and dangerous thing to do to your baby's body, and to your baby's mother's body. Your baby deserves a healthy mom, who is active and healthy and a good example of giving up alluring bad things for healthy good things, right?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:26 PM on May. 21, 2010