For non-vaccinating moms who claim religious exemption

What religion are you that your religion doesn't believe in vaccinating?

I am just wondering. I selective and delay vaccinate my son. So I am not judging, I am just curious as to what religions do believe this. :)

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 10:57 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't really have a religious objection to the vaccines, but it's the only exemption my state (NC) allows in order to not have vaccinated against certain things and still be allowed to attend public schools. So I claim it - I know it's wrong, but I do what I have to in order to do what I think is right for my kids.

Answer by missanc at 10:59 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I think that you should be able to choose to not vaccine period. I think it's ridiculous that you are forced to claim religious exemption b/c that is the only thing they will honor. IMO, it's your child, your choice!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:01 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I know that the amish community does not believe in drugs or vaccines. Not sure about other religions, however it could be argued to Chrisitanity to as the bible states that the body is a temple and no harmful things should enter it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:09 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The Amish don't attend public school though. They have their own, so would they count as one to fill out that form? They don't even pay taxes, do they?
    Anyway, that could be argued that way, but I think it depends on how you look at vaccines. Like whether or not you believe it is harmful or good for the body. So that could vary.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:11 AM on May. 21, 2010

• As stated above a lot of states you say religious and have a pastor sign them for public school. Luckily Arkansas has a conscientious objector law too. So you can say you are against them without having to claim religion (thanks DH for being an attrny lol).

AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:26 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I vaccinated my boys but there are believers in any denomination that choose not to vaccinate and I respect that.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:33 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yeah I think we have a personal belief option in my state too. My son is only 2 so I still have awhile to worry about it.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:35 AM on May. 21, 2010

• In PA religious exemption doesn't have anything to do with religion. The law is worded so that anyone with a belief in the strength of a religious conviction counts. But we do not offer exemption for personal belief - so go figure.

At any rate, I am Pagan, and COULD if I chose claim exemption under that title, I know a number that do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My answer made me sound like someone who vaccinates, so I just wanted to clear up that I do not. We are 100% vaccine free in this house! And I will be claiming religious exemption, but as I started, in PA that doesn't require any actual religious belief, but I could use that if I had to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I dont have a religion. If there were a selection for spiritual exemption then I'd choose that one instead, but there isn't...

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:57 AM on May. 21, 2010