Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My newborn has yellow/greenish stuff running out of her eye???

My 23 day old's left eye is swollen and has yellow/greenish stuff draining from it. Should I take her to the doctor

Answer Question

Asked by RobinE8 at 11:07 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (29)
  • see immediatly her doctor. What r waitnig for?

    Answer by Imane1215 at 11:08 AM on May. 21, 2010


    Answer by mommylisar at 11:09 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • Well I would, are you breastfeeding. Squirt some breast milk into it. The stuff wonderful for healing all that ails babies.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:10 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • It's an infection. You need to see the doctor, he'll give you something to clear it up.

    Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • Also my eye dr. told me when my daughter had that to use a cotton ball with baby shampoo on it to clean it. He said one wet rub the eye, throw it way, then one with baby shampoo, then throw it away, then one clean wet one to get the soap out. Do this many times a day-- it will help keep the eye clean.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:12 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • She might have a closed tear duct. My daughter had the same problem and in order to open it, sometimes you have to massage the corner of her eye with your finger. Just lightly rub it in circles and that usually helps. If it continues I would take her to the doctor.

    Answer by GinNTonic at 11:13 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • GinNTonic - You're right. That's what I think it is too. My daughter had that, I forgot!

    Answer by mompam at 11:17 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • anything that oozes out of your baby that isn't clear, assume it's doctor-worthy.

    Answer by mellypoo at 11:18 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • Thanks, I called the doctor already and Im waiting for a call back. But, I was just wonder what everyone's opinion was.

    Answer by RobinE8 at 11:22 AM on May. 21, 2010

  • Just call the pedi. They will ask you to come in, look at the eye and prescribe an eye ointment or drops.. All 3 of my kids had the same thing. Don't panic, just have it taken care of.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 11:23 AM on May. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.