Do I need a theme for my daughter's b-day party?

I'm having my daughter's b-day party at a gym where she takes gymnastics. The dollar tree where I live has good party supplies and everything is a dollar. But, of course, they aren't going to have themes. Her dad just lost his job so money is a little tight. What is your opinion?

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 11:08 AM on May. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think you need a theme. A gymnastics party is enough!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on May. 21, 2010

• No - just pick a color scheme! Solid colors plus the gymnastics are plenty for a party.

Answer by missanc at 11:12 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Nope no theme needed. I like to just get colored plates from walmart or dollar store. Sometimes I buy little cake plates for a theme and then buy everything else in a coordinating color.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:13 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Dont put a pressure on urself if u have financial problems. Get her something that she really wants as a gift and the gym party. i m sure that will make her happy
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:14 AM on May. 21, 2010

• A theme is NOT required. Just let her age be the theme if you really want one or a color scheme.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Skip the theme, and instead take her to the store to pick out the colors she wants for everything. That's how I handled Kiwi's last party. She got purple plates, green cups, blue napkins, and white spoons and forks. The theme was her favorite colors.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:01 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I agree, you don't need a theme, just maybe try to go with her favorite colors.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 3:40 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We did sometimes. Sometimes we didn't. We NEVER bought themed items from any store.

Our parties came with hand-made invitations, hand delivered to save on postage. Kids could invite the number of kids that was the same as the age they were turning until they hit 10, from then on it was 10. We did a craft (colouring, paper folding, making paper crowns, decorating deflated balloons, painting flower pots, etc.) as the kids arrived, gave them free-play time until the cake and ice cream were on the table, fed them cake and ice cream and nothing else and sent them home with a goody bag made out of a home-decorated paper bag (lunch bags in various colours, or just regular kraft paper ones), with a pencil, a sheet of stickers, a polaroid shot of the kid at the party and whatever craft they made when they came in. I don't think we ever spent $50 on a child's birthday, cake and decorations (balloons and streamers) included.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:14 PM on May. 21, 2010

• No.  You do not have to have a theme.  If you want to see some ideas to start a birthday tradition, games, thank you notes, etc. see http://www.cjkidz.com/Birthday%20Resource%20Page.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:46 PM on May. 21, 2010