Can depression affect your looks?

I'm not conceipted but I was a very pretty person in my youth. I have suffered from depression for nearly 10 years now, and I can't bear to look at myself in pictures anymore, because I have become down right ugly. Could this just be the way I'm looking at myself or can depression really do that to a person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Health

• Depression, I was there and working on it. We tend to let our selves go. You are there, you can do it....

You need help therapy usually works. The good part is your realizing you are not you that is the first step. I have been depressed for years, I was fun and lost it. You don't feel like you anymore.

You can over come it, and trust me you will learn to be you again. You will take all the negativity away, and be so much happy and healthier.

So many people have depression it is just people have to face it head on. You can do it.. I am here for you if you need me, or if you have any questions. Don't give up....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:36 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It's both. When you have such bad depression and self loathing, that is going to carry over to how you present yourself. Your physical looks haven't changed, but when you carry yourself with such self hatred and "poor me" attitude, it shows. It also blinds you to how you see yourself. I'm 5'7" and at one point I was barely 102lbs, and I honestly saw a fat person in the mirror. It's not a fun way to live. I finally got so damn tired of the self loathing, it pissed me off, so I decided to change that. I, too, have depression but I will NOT let depression have me anymore. I deserve better than that and so do my kids and husband. Get yourself treated hun
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:37 AM on May. 21, 2010

• In a way it can. I was really depressed when I was younger and hated the way I looked. Now, I'm feeling much better and don't think I look too bad (I'm no knockout, but I like what I see). I recently looked at a picture from when I was younger, there wasn't much difference in then and now, except for the clothing style. It's more of a thing of not really caring what I looked like, my hair was greasy, my clothes didn't fit right, I hardly ever smiled. Now, I care more, so my hair is clean, my clothes fit, I smile more, and I don't eat to forget stuff anymore. It is also not liking what is on the inside and that makes you see the outside differently.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:37 AM on May. 21, 2010

• write on a piece of paper I am beautiful and devastatingly attractive - just do it! and hide the note in your sock drawer or something and forget about it.
    see what happens! this really works!
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 11:50 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yes but the good news is that you can treat the depression and see yourself as pretty again.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 AM on May. 21, 2010

• The way you habitually hold your face will affect how it looks in 10 years, yes.

When you look at your face, do you look to see your flawed skin, your eye bags, your poor colour, your sag or worry lines? Or, instead, do you look to see your beloved grandpa's nose, the laugh lines that you've made despite a decade of the blues, your still wondrous eyes that have so many different coloured flecks in them, or the strength of the jaw line that has stopped you being a doormat all these years?

You will see what you look for, sweetie. What are you looking for?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:46 PM on May. 21, 2010