How can I get my 12 month old to drink out of a regular cup?

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone had any advice..ideas..etc....I'm trying to get my 12 month old to drink out of her own bottle with out me holding her in the in the laying down position and drinking it....she holds the bottle but she does not understand the concept of putting it up to drink out of it if I sit her up?? I tryed sippy cups and regular cups and she just plays..with it..is it o early? any suggestions?? Will be very much appreciated!!! Hope you all are having a great day:)

Jennicup

Asked by Jennicup at 11:36 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would talk to her doc about that both my sons around 8 months were holding there own bottle sometimes i would have to lay them down to drink it but a lil over 12 months my son learned to tilt his bottle up and know he only drinks it siting up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Yea, ask her dr. Every baby is different so she just may be a late bloomer... I don't think its something to be stressed out over. Just let her do wat she needs to do to drink =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Keep giving her the cup. It's hard to figure out the sucking, but she'll get it. Once she does it, she'll see how to do it. Try some juice in it so it really tastes good. My oldest son never really held his own bottle before 1 year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:47 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't bother a doctor. It takes practice! let her explore. You can't learn unless given the opportunity. A straw cup might be easier to handle. My 8 month old can suck a straw (she still dribbles because she's working out how to stop), but it took two months of trials and play. She can drink out of a cup a little if I hold it, but hasn't got the control to do it herself.

Don't stress! Just play.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:04 PM on May. 21, 2010

• And just so you know, sometimes a baby CAN do something but doesn't want to. When I am at work, my baby will only hold her own bottle if she doesn't want to sleep. If she's tired or wants to be held she wont.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:07 PM on May. 21, 2010

• have you tried straw cups? they have a no-spill kind with a valve. Both of my girls loved those and have never cared for other kinds of sippies. And they're better for their teeth.
    Anonymous

• Why?

What difference does it make to you? One dish dirtied is one dish, so washing it isn't the issue. Bottles and sippy cups eliminate spills, which means less housework for you... so unless you're a masochist, I can't imagine you wanting more cleaning to do...

Have you read "The Hurried Child"? When she's 9, it will be impossible for anyone to tell if she was hurried into a cup or allowed to explore the idea at her own pace --even if it's 2 or 4 more years, but right now if you have a struggle with her, she'll know she (her developmental pace) is not okay with you.

Is her developmental pace okay with you?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:43 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My daughter did hold her own bottle for drinking until she was about 12 months old. She was able to lift it prior to that, but we were using the curved 8 oz bottles and it was too heavy for her to hold it in the proper position prior to this. We switched to sippy cups at 16 months. To get her ready we gave her a cup of water every day. This way she could carry it anywhere in the house with her and we wouldn't have to worry about spills and she could learn on her own. It wasn't until she figured out how to drink the water that we switched to cups for meal times. And when we did switch, we went cold turkey. She didn't like it, but completely forgot about bottles after about 2 days.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:57 PM on May. 21, 2010

• thank you all for the wonderful answers! I am a first time mommy and somethings I like to get an (opinion )about from other mommies..thank you all:)

and to LindaClement.... I am fine with her developmental pace..it was just a question:)
    Jennicup

Answer by Jennicup at 5:06 PM on May. 21, 2010