God bless you, Bless you, Gesundheit

If someone sneezes and ....

~ you are not religious do you say anything?

~ you are religious do you say something?

If you sneeze and some one blesses you...

~ and you are not religious, does it bother you?

~ and you are religious, but they said gesundheit, does it bother you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just say bless you... and my hubby says salu(hes mexican)
    Anonymous

• I say bless you, but it's not because of religious reasons... just because it's good manners.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• It doesn't bother me at all. Although I tell my cousin, sometimes, God Bless you.......somebody has to! LOL!

FYI: It was believed that your heart stopped when you sneeze so people would say "God bless you" so that your soul would go to heaven.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:17 PM on May. 21, 2010

• most people say bless you these days some still say God bless you but I have noticed most just say bless you.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We say bless you for good manners. I could care less how other people say it to me, altho I wish they would limit themselves to no more than 1 bless you a minute Sometimes sneezes come in 3s.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i just say bless you and i say it only because it's polite not for any other reason
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 12:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I generally say one of two things, either...

Oh for goodness sakes! Followed by a bit of a giggle(and this is usually done with children).

OR

Bless you!(which I usually do with adults)

And no, doesnt bother me when anyone says bless you or god bless you after I sneeze.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I used to until I learned that it is derived from the belief that our souls left our bodies when we sneeze, and we were taught by saying G-d bless you protected them from having it snatched away from the evil one; making it a superstition. Sometimes I say it because it does seem rude not to[ if the person does not know the truth], but I am just going to have to explain it for now on. Superstition is for witchcraft and I am no longer a witch. Superstition is also a form of idol, which I do not want to use or believe in as well. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Does it bother me when people say it? No I know they think they are being polite and religious by doing so. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:35 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I dont say it either, i do thank someone when they say it to me.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:38 PM on May. 21, 2010