Migraine Suffers...

What do you take to ease the pain?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:12 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Health

• I take Amitriptylne every night, a low dose.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:13 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Prescription imotrex, and If I can't afford the prescription Excedrin migraine works pretty well.
    Anonymous

• I usually just end up going to the dr and they give me a shot to relax and a shot for the pain- its the only thing that will take the pain away ... i get them REALLY bad
    Anonymous

• Excedrine for Migraines....................also have you discussed depression with your dr? I found out that my migraines were triggered by depression and once I started Zoloft they went away. Just a suggestion.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I tried a few prescriptions (one gave me a very bad reaction where I couldn't move or breathe) but to be honest, Excedrin Migraine works faster and better than any prescription I ever took.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:28 PM on May. 21, 2010

• TheDiva320 - No since I have discussed it with my therapist and she agrees I don't need medicated since it isn't a constant thing. I dunno what the trigger is because no matter what I change in my life or diet they still come. And I have tried the Excedrin Migraine, it doesn't work anymore for me. My doctor just gave me Relpax but it just made things worse so just trying to see what works for others to see what I can try next (since it is trial and error now).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:28 PM on May. 21, 2010

• BC Powder. I am too scared to take the prescription meds (my neurologist offered Imitrex). So far, BC Powder controls them quite well. Excedrin had too much caffeine for me. It sent me on a wild jittery trip. It was awful.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:32 PM on May. 21, 2010

• DH usually just takes Excedrin Migraine- it doesn't get rid of the migraine but does make it bearable. If he can, he lays down in a dark room for a while. If he goes into the doctor they give him a shot of Tramadol, which works for almost 24 hours for him. A side note: his migraines have a specific location and cause, so I don't know if that is the reason for the Tramadol, but it is something you can ask your doctor about.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:38 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I used to get them as a teen, but not anymore. I can't remember now (since I'm 31, and this was yrs ago!) but I took some kind of herbal remedy for them, I think, after trying a prescription that, at that time, didn't work all that well for me. I can't remember what it was called, but maybe you can do a little research online, maybe google "migraine herbal remedies" or something like that and see what comes up. I try herbal remedies whenever possible now, before I resort to meds.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I take BC or Goody's headache powders. They taste terrible but work faster and better than Exedrin for me. Occasionally, I will need to take an antihistamine at the same time to knock it out completely, especially if there's sinus pressure along with the migraine.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:59 PM on May. 21, 2010