Do you think a teacher or any school faculty has the right to throw away part of your child's sack lunch?

My DD brought her lunch to school and her teacher threw away the snack I pacled because she said it was too sugary. What right did she have to throw it away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on May. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• BTW It was only a cupcake.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not. I don't believe a teacher has a say in those situations at all. The only instance is possible allergy risk.......ie they have peanuts or peanut products, that can potentially be fatal.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

• What was it ? Just out of curiosity.

Anyways, if I were you, I would just ask the teacher to quit throwing away her food, or start buying her lunch. Since she obviously knows better than you.....(sarcasm)
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• What a stupid teacher! They'd hear from me.
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 12:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I say that you should go talk to the principal about it... that is just ridiculous. They should have no say as to wat your dd eats- considering you PAY for the food
    Anonymous

• only if luch was over
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Bitch them out! They have no right to do that especially since YOU sent it!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 12:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• No, I don't think she has the right, unless there is a safety concern about allergies. I think 'too sugary' should be up to the discretion of the parents. Every year my school sends home a list of what is 'appropriate for snack' and what isn't. Their list is very weird and arbitrary... for instance, graham crackers are okay, granola bars are not... how much difference is there really? The irony is that they will sometimes hand out candy for special occasions... so basically, THEY can give my kids junk, but I can't??? Frustrating!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• No right at all but I can see where a teacher might get frustrated if she had sugary snacks all the time that were interfering with her concetration. But even still, she should have just sent it back home with her, not thrown it away.
    You may want to consider packing healthier snacks anyway...
    Anonymous

• That's more common then you think! Is it right? Absolutely not! However you'll have parents that will back it up and would want to slap you for feeding your child what they believe to be crap food. It's the same people that supports that city in CA new law that BANNED toys in a child's fast food meal (ex: happy meals), because of the meals high calorie count. If the fast food place wants to have toys in the meals then they have to change it's menu. I AM NOT one of those parents! I'm was just saying....

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:25 PM on May. 21, 2010