Do your young children have button up shirts??

I took my son (4yrs) to his yearly checkup on Tuesday. The doctor asked how he does with buttons, I said I don't know, we don't have any clothes for him with buttons.

She gave me this look like I was crazy and said "You mean you don't own any button up shirts for him?" I said no, he's 4 what does he need a button up shirt for??

I didn't know I was supposed to dress my kids a special way so that they would progress properly... Is this really the big deal she made it out to be? I mean, hell, my DH is 31 and only has 2 button up shirts... We have no need for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• u dress my son in button up shirts and collard pollo type shirts all the time. he is 3. but i never thought about hi needing to learn how to use buttons. i only dress him this way cuz i think it is cute....lol...
    Anonymous

• Yes my 4 year old boy has a ton of button up shirts. He tries to do it himself but he usually gets mixed up (buttons it unevenly, so the shirt is crooked lol) and I have to button it for him, but he always tries. He absolutely cannot button his own pants. He will hell you he isnt strong enough. My 5 year old also has alot of button up shirts and he can do it, fast.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:26 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My 2 and 3 year old boys have a ton of button up shirts and polos. That is mainly what they wear to church. But they have never tried to do the buttons. My 3 year old could probably do really big buttons if he tried.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has some shirts and pajamas with buttons. She also has a bear that has buttons, snaps, zippers, etc. Once she learned how to work the buttons, she wouldn't let me help anymore. Now she's moving onto snaps.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My 4 year old son has 1 button up shirt that he wears to dress up which is really never. My daughter wears a uniform to school, so the first time she really encountered buttons was in kindergarten. She picked it up quickly. Don't worry, when he has to button, he will.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:39 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My 3 year old has a few button up shirts but I don't recall him ever trying to do it himself. it has to do with learning hand-eye coordination (so I was told years ago with my first son).
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:00 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My 3 year old has 5 or 6 but rarely wears them. He wears polo shirts more frequently though but doesn't button them and I don't think he'd be able to button his button down shirts either. Who cares though? It's not like anyone gets to adulthood and can't figure it out.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 1:07 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My son has always had a couple of button up shirts....and pj's with buttons too. He is 6 now.

My husband wears one everyday, he works for our local Board of Education so he must wear a tie everyday :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My son has always had a couple of button up dress shirts. He actually has an over sized Hawaiian type shirt in the dress up box with the girls stuff that he likes to put on. (he says its his "work short" and he pretends he is going to work when he puts it on. LOL!!)  It took him a while to learn how to do the buttons, but now he'll swat my hand away and tell me "I can do this!" if I forget that he is a "big boy" and can handle the buttons himself.

If you don't like button up shirts, maybe you could get him a shirt or smock to play in around the house that has buttons, or get him some learning toys that have buttons on them so he can learn how to work buttons.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:26 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Sure, my kids have lots of button up shirts and lots of pajamas that have buttons on them. My four year old started learning to button around the time he was two, even though he didn't usually get his shirts buttoned straight.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:40 PM on May. 21, 2010