my 2 year old will pee on the potty but she refuses to poop on the potty

Whenever she feels the urge to poop she says mommy I need a diaper I have to poop and I've tried telling her its okay to poop on the potty I have even sat her down on the potty but she just ends up pooping in her panties. I hve even said I will give her candy if she poops on the potty. Any advice??

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 12:38 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she knows by telling you that she needs a diaper to poop in then its time for her to poop in her potty....Encouraging her by candy is not something I would do for my child and obviously your daughter is not enthused by it either. Instead I would try talking to her about it and making her feel more at ease to go to the potty to poop instead of asking for a diaper. Staying firm by explaining to her that the diapers are gone and its now time to use the potty...when she asks for a diaper to poop in, sit her on the potty, read a book to her...or I would let the water run for my dd to get her to go and the very first time I let the water run so she could poop, she thought it was the best idea ever and I never had a problem with her using the potty to poop after that one...good luck...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:47 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My son did the same thing. I started by having him empty his poopy diapers into the potty and flushing poop down the potty. I would also have him watch myself or daddy poop on the potty and have him flush the poop. Sounds icky but they need to learn!

I hope this helps!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 2:21 PM on May. 21, 2010

• This is really ordinary, lots of kids go through this. I wonder if it's not because with their feet in the air the muscles pushing out don't work the right way --or at least it doesn't feel right to them, being used to having their feet firmly planted when it happens. A more stable potty (one that doesn't move if she pushes with her feet) or a handy wall, chair or high-enough and stable stool might solve the problem.

Of course, there is little risk of her going off to her grade 12 grad still needing a diaper to poop in... so if you do nothing it will sort itself out in a few weeks or months. If you push too hard potty-training poops, you could end up with Impacted Bowel Syndrome. Google it --it's disgusting.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:28 PM on May. 21, 2010