Christianity Question

I am not Christian and growing up in the bible belt has always been hard on me. I have constantly been told the I am "going to hell." Doesn't it say in the bible that only God can judge you?
I have been reading through the religious questions today and am shocked at all the hostility from Christians. Maybe instead of being so hostile towards people, you should try being nice and accepting other's beliefs. It isn't your problem what someone else believes. I know that the ruder Christians are to me, the more I stear away.
I grew up Jewish and I have NEVER seen a Jew critisize someone else for their religion! And absolutely not tell someone they their religion is WRONG! Because that is God's choice.

And no, I am NOT saying that ALL Christians are like this, but a lot are. I guess I just want to know why a lot of Christians are so defensive and quick to judge.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you 100%. Being 'hell fire & brimstone' is NO way to win people to Christ. And yes, only GOD can and should judge. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." I am a Christian but do NOT believe in brow beating people. I believe you win more flies with honey than vinegar. We should show the LOVE of Christ and live our faith within that love.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:52 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I am a Christian and I agree. There are MANY who judge others. And it is NOT our place to judge. It makes me sad. My husband and I always talk about this, about how so many Christians judge and that it doesn't make the judged people or others who see it want to follow Christ with you. Quite the opposite indeed. I grew up being taught by my mom that Christians are judgmental. I am sure she experienced that and that is why she taught it. I now know it isn't always the case and I try to live my life in a way that shows EVERY person love and kindness. That is a better way to spread the message of Jesus.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 1:52 PM on May. 21, 2010

• From where Im from, people arent like that. No matter what religion, youre still loved. Just like homosexuals, prostitutes, ect. God doesnt agree with everything most people do, or believe, but either way he still loves them no matter what.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry you feel this way about many Christians. I have noticed this mostly on CM but I have also noticed the majority of Christians are not like this. Just as there are only a few atheist that would tell Christians are other religious people they are mentally ill or think so low of themselves they have to invent a God.
    Anonymous

• I can't tell you. I wish I could. I am a Christian and I agree with you that it is ONLY God who can judge you. It grieves me to see so many people do and say the things they do, in the name of God. Yes we are to minister to others, but we are to do it in love and kindness and to be more of an example than IMO preachy. But ministering does not mean judging it is meeting people's needs, not cursing them.
    Anonymous

• For what it's worth, I'm Christian, and I agree that it's God's job alone to say who is going to hell - it's not a person's place to say such things.
    Anonymous

• It does say in the Bible that if you don't accept Jesus he will turn you away from heaven. It's not judgemental, it's a fact in the Bible. As for people judging you and your religion, I believe that I'm in no position to judge. I believe in what I do because I have seen and felt the power of God.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:30 PM on May. 21, 2010

• The feeling of hostility can go both ways.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:35 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I'm an atheist and I've found that Jews are by far the most accepting, best behaved group of religious people. I've always felt very comfortable talking with them even about hot-button issues. Christians, especially the ones I've come across on Cafemom, have absolutely shocked me with their behavior. Any time they go off preaching, it makes me happy I no longer associate with their god.
    Anonymous

• best behaved group of religious people

so glad they have behaved to your standards. I have found atheist like to misbehave as much if not more than Christians.
    Anonymous