I am thinking I should just cancel my next dr.'s appt, I don't want to hear that I'm just fat again...

My blood pressure has been pretty high for at least the last two months (that's when i started keeping track). I checked it while I was at the pharmacy today and it was 160/101. I'm only 25. I'm about 50 pounds overweight and I know it. I've been on a diet for the last month or so and have lost 8 lbs so far. Anyway, I made an appt with my doctor for next week to finally get my bp checked with them. I really don't wanna go! I know that he's just gonna say I need to lose weight and exercise and I'm already working on that so why bother with the blow to the self esteem to here my doc call me fat once again....

What do you all think? Keep the appt or just keep going it on my own?

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 1:54 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Health

• I would go, cause he might find soemthing else, never know. It wouldnt hurt to go! GL
    Anonymous

• Keep the appointment and get on some BP medicine unless you've been able to get it to drop significantly on your own. Instead off worrying about getting offended with the doctor, why not turn it fun and mess with him. If he says that your fat, and act surprised.

Anonymous

• he may prescribe something if thats what you want, but if you dont want to medically lose weight or use blood pressure meds then i guess dont go
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 2:04 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Definitely go. He may decide to put you on meds to regulate your pressure. And is you are offended by the way he talks to you, tell him so. If he thinks there is a problem with your weight he should be telling you how to fix it and not putting you down. If he cant help you then ask to see a nutritionist or someone who is helpful.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 2:07 PM on May. 21, 2010

• It's hard to hear, but being overweight is sooo bad for your health. At your age it is the major thing contributing to your bad health.
    Anonymous

• Anon :27; I know that my being overwieght is contributing to my high blood pressure but I am working on fixing that and it's not like he can wave a magic wand to make me skinny so why even go?

Ya, I think I have decided not to go.... If my bp is still high after losing the rest of the weight I need to lose then I'll make another appt.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 2:51 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I would still go. The doctor might have other suggestions for you, and I would hope that he would make note of the 8 pounds you've already lost. Way to go!
    Anonymous

• This is just my thought (yep, I get the 'you need to lose weight lecture every visit'), but I would go anyway. He might start you on blood pressure medications that could help to lower the blood pressure now while you are still working on the weight loss. The thing is that high blood pressure is crazy bad for you (whether you are overweight or not). It can cause all kinds of very serious medical problems, such as stroke. No sense even taking a chance on something so serious in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• My mom experienced the same thing with her doctor. She got sick of hearing she was overweight from him that she switched doctors. It is important to go to keep your BP in check especially if you are just getting it under control so they can adjust your meds if they need to. And just to let you know, my super skinny sister, 105 lbs, also has high blood pressure and is on medication for it since age 36 and has never had a fat day in her life! It runs in our family and that can not be helped. Hang in there, stick to your diet as best you can but please keep that BP monitored and under control!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:44 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 AM on May. 22, 2010