Potty training question

My dd is 18 months old she uses the potty off and on. but some days she just goes pee pee in her panties...then comes and tells me...what am i doing wrong?? why do she have days that she wont even let me no she has to go potty....IM GOING CRAZY> someone help me please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• accidents happen! it takes a long time, even for those who are very potty trained, to get the timing right. Just stick with it! be consistant! we are only on day 7, and my son has had tons of accidents. i just keep reminding him pee pee/poo poo goes in the potty. he is finally putting two and two together
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:04 PM on May. 21, 2010

• She is still pretty young, not too young to be fully potty trained, but maybe too young to be expected to be 100% potty trained. You are probably not doing anything wrong, she maybe just be ignoring the signs or being to preoccupied with playing to go to the potty or tell you.

My personal suggestion is to remind her at least every two hours, on schedule, ask her if she needs to go, or suggest that she try.

I am training my 15 month old daughter right now and have her one a schedule. My son needed to have a schedule as a reminder as well.

Good luck.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 2:08 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My daughter was kind of trained, but with accidents, at 17 months. Then around 18 months she had a week of no accidents and always telling us when she needed to go... then she kind of seemed to give that up. She'd tell us if she needed to poop, but if she just needed to pee, she'd wet her pants. However, if we asked or just took her to the potty we'd go. So we changed our approach and decided we'd just help her stay dry by taking her periodically (rather than waiting for her to take the initiative and hoping she'd learn to avoid the accidents). Actually after a few days of us being really proactive about taking her, so she had no accidents at all, she started telling us on her own again. Now she's there... we don't have to remind her too much anymore, and she only has an accident every now and then. She's 20 months. Don't be discouraged, remember that the younger ones need a little more help but you're doing the right thing!!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:12 PM on May. 21, 2010

• That sounds like great progress. She's only 18 months, this is going to be a slow process. If she's telling you she's wet, then it'll be no time before the accidents stop. What would be harder would be if she wet herself and didn't care (*sigh* like my DD did at 2.5 yr old). Just be patient. She'll get the hang of it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I am having a great second week but my LO is older than yours is. My LO is 22 1/2 mos. She had one success a day for an entire week. Yesterday we went to training pants and she had approximately 7 accidents. Today we have only had one minor one. It takes time and patience. Maybe you could set a timer and when it goes off she needs to take a potty break. We are using a timer and it is working great. My DD come running telling me it is potty time when it sounds. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:52 PM on May. 21, 2010

• same here coala! we are on day 7, and my son has pretty gone once a day. One day he went twice a day, two of the days he didnt use the potty at all, today he went 4 times. He s fnally starting to say "pee pee" when as if he needs to use the potty. It definately takes patience and consistancy, he seemed less eager to go if I timed it, so now I just watch for signs he needs to go. This change of method seems to work for us. He doesnt feel "forced" as if he has to go when I want him to go. When i see he signs and i ask if he wnats to go, he goes right in the bathroom
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:49 PM on May. 21, 2010

• sorry for all my grammatical errors lol
    Owl_Feather

• Sounds like you are doing fine, and she will get it very soon, I bet! Great job doing it that early too. Don't let people tell you that is too young and she isn't ready! That would be the most important thing for you to keep in mind. Seven out of eight of our children are potty trained, and all at 1 1/2 also!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:59 AM on May. 22, 2010