When to dump the crib and use a toddler bed?

I am looking for advice, life lessons...etc? My crib was recalled and my DD is 15 months. She walks, climbs, and is being potty trained.

I am uncertain if it is too early to get a toddler bed or not. I have not thought this through and need your experiences and input to help me out.

I am not concerned about her getting out of bed in the middle of the night and walking about the house since I can put a gate at her bedroom door and her room is childproofed.

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 2:15 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why not use a toddler bed? I'd say yes. Otherwise you would have to purchase another crib? then if you think you will have other kids and will eventually need a crib, then why not buy it right away, but if you are done with kids or now is not a good time to buy a new crib, then, I don't think there are any problems with her being in a toddler bed
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 2:25 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I started my first in a toddler bed the day of her birthday. She just turned one and got a new bed. No problems. My second is turning one next month, and shes so tiny, and has some devolpment problems she still acts and is the size of a 5 month old.. so she wont be going into a toddler bed any time soon.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 2:28 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Cribs are so they do not fall out. Toddler beds are made for kids old enough to climb in and out of bed on there own. They are low to the ground and have bed rails on them just in case. So I say go for it. We did it for both of mine at 2, but 15 months sounds good. They come in all sorts of characters and prices. We got a 50 one that has lasted for nearly 4 years and is on it's second child.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:13 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My pediatrician says to keep them in a crib as close to their 3rd birthday as possible. He says to ditch it around 3 yr old or when they can climb out. He advises if they climb out before they are 2.5 yr old to buy a crib tent. My DD slept in her crib until a month after her 3rd birthday. My DS started climbing out at 20 months. We tried a toddler bed then and he ended up getting out of bed, climbing up his chest of drawers, and it fell on top of him. Thankfully he was ok, but we went back to the crib that night.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:14 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Why use a toddler bed at all?? Use a regular twin bed and don't pay for the toddler bed AND then step up and pay again for the twin bed.
    Anonymous

• I would not use a toddler bed that young. Even if she's potty training, she's a ways away from being able to get out of bed and use the potty all on her own, so she can call to you if she needs to go (my youngest is 20 months, still in a crib, and that's what she does). Do you have a pack n' play? If you do, that could do the job until a more reasonable age. I think 15 months is too young, just because every single day on here there are parents of kids 18 months or younger who are trying to fix the sleep and bedtime troubles they're having because of a premature move to a toddler bed. Is bedtime going well for you guys right now? If so, I would NOT do anything major to change it. My youngest stayed in a pack n' play until 12 months at night because big sis was not done with the crib. Big sis moved at almost 3 and it went so smoothly. Little sis still naps in the pack n' play so they can be in separate rooms. She sleeps well
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I think there are many views on this question. I agree with a previous poster about not buying another crib unless you are going to have more children.

Each child develops differently. Some learn to crawl out of their crib early on. Some (like my oldest) never crawl out of their crib. I say if you feel (trust your Mommy instincts) your little one is ready for a bed, then go for it. I also agree with not wasting money on a toddler bed. Just get a twin bed, put the mattress and box spring on the floor so it is low to the ground, and buy bed rails.

If you crib has been recalled, the manufacturer has to fix it, or pay you for it. Just so you know.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 4:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I've always heard that ideally, the best time to move them is when they start climbing out of the crib.

I moved my son to a toddler bed at 14 months for other reasons (too long to explain here!) and he did decently well. I put pillows on the floor at first because he did roll out of it a time or two. The fall is so short they they're just fine, just a little scared.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:14 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I have a 16 month old and have also been thinking of buying a toddler bed, i have seen some real good deals online and at Target or even Big Lots... My thinking is of she can get down from my bed okay, they will do great with a smaller bed closer to the floor... but yes keep in mind that the room where u put it is chilproof and the gates are all in places.... your child will love the freedom of getting up and running around instead of waiting for u to pull them out.. so the real question is are we ready to let them loose...lol???
    mamis619

Answer by mamis619 at 11:47 AM on May. 24, 2010