what should I tell her?

Me and my mother has taken this nine year old girl under our wing since she doesn't have a mother herself and her dad is pretty lost when it comes to girls. She is like family to us and we love her to death. Well she started her period yesterday which is a surprise because she is only nine so we are wondering if we should have the sex talk with her or is she still to young. I know her hormones are all over the place and she likes boys so should I a be cautious and tell her that having sex can get her pregnant or should i wait. I am so confused because of her age. I wouldn't worry over it if she didn't have a period and wasn't so into boys, what do you think ? is she to young for the sex talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• oh and she is in second grade by the way. she failed and her birthday is late so she is can behind for her age
    Anonymous

• no way! talk to her about it and be very open. answer any question she has, tell her anything you think is relevent.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:21 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I would talk to her dad first, just to let him know its time for that. But yeah, If she's going through that change, Im sure shes got alot of questions! GL
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:23 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Ask dad if he wants you to. He will probably give you the green light because dads usually have a little harder time talking to their daughters. But yes, if she's started her period, she needs to know the facts of life.
    Anonymous

• No you shouldn't. She is very young, it's doubtful that her classmates are having sex and if they did I'm pretty sure boys that age don't produce sperm, and the most important aspect to it is that you are NOT her parent! I'm sure that you wouldn't want her to feel uncomfortable with you because you start talking about "inappropriate" things that she may not be ready for. Just because a little girls thinks a boy is cute, doesn't mean that they're thinking about having sex with them.

cont.
    Anonymous

• In dealing with her changing body, you or her dad should pick up the book "The care and keeping of you", it explains puberty and all the changes she's going through in wording that's informative and easy for a child to understand. The only message you should impart on her sexuality is that no matter what it is never okay for anyone to touch her, adults or children alike. The only exception should be if she came to you asking you questions. Then and only then, should you be open and honest with her.

Anonymous

• 9 is becoming more common now a days. I would talk to the Dad and ask him how he would like to handel it. But yes she needs the period talk. And needs to know the consequences of sex.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:07 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My girls are 9 and 8. I have talked to them some about it. I feel that a child should learn those kind of things from thier parents, but in your case trusted adult because they can be easly misinformed by their peers. So many children are having babies at 13, 14, ect. some are even trying for them. Its Scary! Teach her it is better to hold off for sex and babies until she is are older. Answer any question she has without judgement and try to steer her in the right path.
    Anonymous

• If she has started menstruating, she can become pregnant. Someone needs to start having regular conversations with her about hygeine, her changing body, hormones, and sex.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Ask dad how much he wants her to know and then, yes, she needs the sex talk. It is never to earlier to talk about our bodies and what occurs during puberty, sex, etc. I have been talking to my son and niece about sex and their bodies since they were in Kindergarten. It is not a subject that you talk about once and forget. It has to be an ongoing converstation and geared towards their age and development.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:38 PM on May. 22, 2010