Ugh.. She is a FREAK!!

My cousin in law has come into town from Ohio two days ago. She is a freak! She has two children.. Ages 5 and 2. For starters, they aren't allowed to watch Nick... Only PBS. Which is fine.. Whatever.. but then tells me how bad of a parent I am because my 9 year old son watches Spongebob and The Star Wars Clone Wars thing. Well then at dinner got pissed because I let my son have Kool Aid. (Sweetened with Splenda) because it wasn't good for them! AND THEN got pissed because I didn't make my son go to bed at 8:30. He stayed up until 9:15 when he got himself ready for bed. She really crossed the line and I want her to just go home. How do I tell her nicely to just mind her own business? I'm not the hellicopter mother she is but because I'm trying to keep peace in the family, I don't want to just let her have it. Ugh. What do I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• so people that don't watch nick are freaks? so people that don't let their kids watch tv at all must be really crazy in your book.
    Anonymous

• Tell her You raise your child how you want to and I'll raise mine how I want to!
    Anonymous

• i would tell her you respect how she raises her kids and that every person has different parent techniques and she should respect your way of parenting.
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 2:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• how much longer is she staying with you.
    Im sorry but i would tell her my kid my house don't like it get out.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 2:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I guess I'm a freak too. My kids are in bed by 8pm. They have milk or water with dinner. They cannot watch Spongebob. She shouldn't get mad at you though for parenting differently. Have a talk with her about how she is making you feel and hopefully you can have a nice visit.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• "i understand that you dont approve of my parenting style, but this is my child, and i will raise him how i see fit." if she continues i would start bashing the way she raises her kids. see how it makes her feel, then explain that that's how you feel when you are criticized.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:38 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Everyone is going to raise their child different. As long as you are happy with your family, who cares what she thinks?? I know its hard to not be offended by the comments she makes, but just try your hardest to brush them off and hope she's going back home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:42 PM on May. 21, 2010

• OP here: Nooo!! I'm not saying that ppl that don't let their kids watch Nick are freaks or that make them have water or milk. It's everything! She only buys them organic clothes, they can't eat meat. She doesn't allow them to have milk or eggs either. They aren't allowed outside for more than one hour a day. They can't have gum, candy (even sugar free kind). She allows them to have juicy juice but no other juices. They aren't allowed to use soap in the bath. She makes her own. But so far the only things I have heard was how I must not care about what he learns because I let him watch Nick. I mean, my gosh... It's a kids channel. And how dare I give him something to drink that has no nutritional value ! I'm just sick of her.
    Anonymous

• Seeing she is VISITING I would in some ways grin and bear it. My kids have never in their life have had kool-aid and I won't buy it. We restrict what they watch and they are in bed by 8:30. However if I was visiting someone's home I would try my best NOT to tell them how to parent THEIR children. She just in some ways may be in shock and thinks YOU are the freak because you allow your kids to do x, y, and z. It may even be possible that her circle of friends parents the way she parents, so it's might just be a shock to her that a relative has such different views on parenting. I would sit down with her in private and tell her that you understand that she parents different and has different views. That you can respect her parenting and are willing to support it when it comes to HER children and that you would like the same in return when it comes to YOUR children. Life and LET Life!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:52 PM on May. 21, 2010

• You need to tell her to MYOB! Maybe be sarcastic with ehr about HER crazy parenting tactics. I have been around parents like that, some are just SO annoying!

Jennifer 588 said it pretty good. You don't have to be mean & yell, just point out that you are happy with the way you raise your own children. I would like to know how her kids turn out...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:53 PM on May. 21, 2010