How to deal with univited neighbor kids???

We moved about 6 months ago to a lovely cul-de-sac. My kids have a lot of friends now and they come over frequently which I love since I don't allow my kids to go to any one's house. The thing is all the kids parents call first then pick them up after a couple hours. Well the kid right next door to us has suddenly decided he wants to come over too. He knows my youngest from school. The kid comes in, plays video games, is a bit rude, and doesn't want to leave. He just shows up at my door and says he wants to play. How can I nicely tell him NO!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• We had a similar problem. I'd tell the kid any of the following:
    1. Not right now. We're about to have dinner.
    2. Not right now. It's homework time.
    3. Not right now. She's doing chores.
    4. Sorry, she already has company.
    5. Sorry, she's busy right now.
    6. Sorry, she's only allowed company X number of hours per week and she's already reached that limit.
    7. If she finishes X she can come outside to play.
    I found it was best to never let them in the door.
    Anonymous

• Tell his mother/father that he needs to stay home. If that doesn't work, when he knocks on the door, don't let him it, just tell him straight that he needs to go home or somewhere else. How's that one expression go? "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here" or something like that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:51 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I told this bit of advice to another poster a day or so ago.

I would make a chore chart and place it by the front door. When said kid comes by, tell him its "CHORE TIME" and if he stays he must pick a chore to do. If he doesn't want to participate in chore time, he is free to go home :)

That way, its not all on you really. If mom ever says anything you can say that you are trying to teach your children about chores and helping out. lol.
    Anonymous

• That's what your average kid does. They show up at the door and ask to play. They don't have their people call and make playdates. Didn't YOU just decide you want to play with a child and go over when you old enough to do so? I did.
    Anonymous

• op - I remember playing OUTSIDE with neighbor kids. Not monopolizing their PS3's just because I don't have one or barking orders like "go get me a snack". I just don't like this particular kid, so what.
    Anonymous

• Anon :55, I always either called first and asked if my friend could play, or I would go knock on the door and ask if they could play. I never went and just did my own thing and acted like a jerk. And we usually played outside and I knew only to take what was offered to me. That's called manners.

To the OP, I would tell his parents that you don't appreciate how the child acts when he comes over and that you would like them to talk to him about it. If it doesn't stop, then you can tell the parents that their child is not welcome. If he still comes over, tell him he cannot come in. Take it in somewhat small steps.
    Anonymous

• tell him your kid has head lice..maybe he will go and tell his parents and that will make them keep him away
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:12 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We've dealt with that before with a little girl who used to live across the street. She would come over and invite herself into the kitchen, eat our food and make all kinds of noise, when my husband was trying to sleep(he works shift work). I had to get firm and just send her home. Thank goodness they moved.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:24 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Just tell him NO! There is no reason that you can't just tell him "I'm sorry but ....can't play today." You don't have to give him an reason, he's a child you are an adult.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:30 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Also is PS3 or other activities are an issue then you can say that those things can NOT be played with when company is over. We have a PS2 and other gaming devices. Those things are NOT allowed to be used when company is over. If he's wanting a snack and lives next door, you can send him HOME to get food there.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:34 PM on May. 21, 2010