How does a mom who work 9 till 5 breastfeed her baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There are federal laws in place that help women pump at work. Each state is slightly different, but there is a federal mandate that companies must allow you to pump on your break times.

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389

You can find your state with that link.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:59 PM on May. 21, 2010

• You pump every two to three hours at work and nurse when at home. The baby gets the punped milk while you are gone. It's possible; I've been working and breastfeeding for over a year.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:54 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I agree with preacherskid you gotta pump at work then nurse when you are with the child. I did with mine and he was breastfed till he was 1yr old.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I did it!!! I used a bottle also, never pumped. I started out nursing, but introduced a bottle a day right from day one. After about 4 weeks, I dropped one feeding at lunchtime and replace it with a bottle of formula. Then a week or 2 later I replaced another daytime feeding with a bottle. By the time I went back to work (around 4 months) I was nursing in the morning, bottles all day, nursing around 6:00 and then all night. I never had to pump at work and we were able to keep this up for 9 months. My body just adjusted to it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Nurse when home. Pump at work. I worked 60 hour weeks and did business trios; breastfed to 26 months. Big fat myth that you have to stay home to breastfeed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Breasfeed from 5pm til 9am - get the last feeding in as close to 9 as possible. Pump at 11, 1, 3, and bf as soon as you're home again and through the evening and night.
    Anonymous

• I actually worried about the same thing, i plan on breastfeeding, and worried how going back to work was going to effect that, check into your state laws and your company policies on it, thats what i did, i am fortunite i work for a company that will allow me to pump as often as needed, per my feedng times.
    princess730

Answer by princess730 at 4:14 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Pump at work. Pump on weekends (in the evening, if you have the energy), breastfeed at home.

I did it for 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 AM on May. 22, 2010