GEAT FRENCH TOAST RECIPE

Im making Breakfast for dinner tonight to do something fun and different, I would really apporeciate an awesome French Toast Recipe that the bread doesnt turn out soggy, we dont liek soggy LOL

DiandraBryant07

Asked by DiandraBryant07 at 2:54 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I use challah bread, it makes pretty darn good french toast. You can find it in the baked bread section in your grocery, usually near the deli.

I use 1/2 and 1/2, eggs & i also put cinnamon & honey in the mix.

My mom melts butter & slowly wisks in the 1/2 and 1/2 into the melted butter, i don't use butter because when i do it it just clots up and does not mix well.

You can also add orange juice to your custard mix, i know a lot of folks who do this & it is very YUM!!!

Let them soak in the mixture (custard) for a few minutes on each side making sure it soaks through, but not overly soaked.

Throw lots of butter in a pan & COOK SLOWLY! You want to cook them slowly because if you cook to fast, it will burn the outside & the inside will be soggy. You want to make sure it cooks all the way through.

serve with apple butter, syrup, jams/jellies. Heck, DD like to put peanut butter on them, it's actually very good!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:00 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I just use a beaten egg. I don't add milk. I do add cinnamon. Don't soak the bread, just dredge it through the beaten egg. That should stop any sogginess.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:00 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I have a recipe for cheese cake stuffed french toast. if you would like
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:01 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Here is Alton Browns recipe, it's very similar to mine...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/index.html

We are french toast lovers, i will never do regular white bread & egg...yuck! Got to make the custard!!!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:02 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i use eggs, vanilla and cinnamon...i think the bread choice is what keeps the toast firm.
    i like to top it with orange honey butter!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:03 PM on May. 21, 2010

• im planning on using whole wheat bread.
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 3:05 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Your recipe sounds a bit like mine. I use a thick sliced bread, sit it out on a baking sheet over night. This helps the bread to soak up all the yummy and retain it's texture. I use 2 eggs per slice of bread. I add quite a bit of half and half....I go by visual and texture. Mixture should still be creamy looking, thick and yellow, but not bright yellow. I use ALOT of cinnamon, the cream requires it. I add a pinch of nutmeg and salt. I add vanilla extract according to the size of the batch. I also add a couple of Tbsp of powdered sugar (the cornstarch in the powdered sugar add it's magic to the mix as well). Beat til bubbly but not foamy. The dry bread just drinks it up! Then I fry it in butter and serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit. Not the lowest fat and calorie recipe in the world but one of my weaknesses!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:31 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Hot pan, cold oil, let the bread drip the egg mixture off for a few seconds before cooking it... don't turn it until it moves easily in the pan without streaking.

Of course, I think that french toast without cinnamon in the mix is blasphemy.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:11 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Overnight French Toast
    2 large apples - peeled, cored and sliced
    3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 cup dry sweetener of your choice
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup plant or animal milk (I use vanilla soy)
    1/2 cup yogurt (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4-6 thick slices of day old bread
    In a saucepan, cook the apples in the butter/margarine until they start to soften.  Add the cinnamon, dry sweetener, syrup and cook until the apples are nice and soft.  Pour into the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan.  In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except bread.  Dip the bread into the milk/yogurt mix and layer on top of the apple mix.  Pour the remaining milk mixture over the top.  Cover and refrigerate.
    In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 F.  Uncover the baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes 

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 AM on May. 22, 2010