Tweens Smoking

How do you handle it when your 13 yr old has a best friend that is allowed to smoke?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't handle it,Id keep my daughter away from her,if the pasrents will et their kid smoke,theyll probably let her do whatever she wants and I cant have my kid in that kind of environment!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 3:03 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I would not condone the friendship.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:04 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i agree mommy16love!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:04 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Make sure your child knows the dangers of it. If you try to deny her time with the friend, it will backfire. When I was 13, one of my best friends smoked and my parents found out about it. I didn't smoke, and didn't even start until I was old enough to buy them myself. But when I was 13, my dad just talked to me about it, and I just assured them that although she did, I wasn't going to. You just have to hope that you've done a good job in teaching your kids to think for themselves and not follow the pack.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:05 PM on May. 21, 2010

• talk to the child. i had a friend that was a allowed to smoke and do whatever else she wanted at 12 and when my mom found out what kind of environment her home was, we took her in. she would stay for weeks at a time, and her mom never called or anything. if they are allowed to smoke there is probably more going on, and something may need to be done.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:07 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Smoking is not healthy but alot of people smoke including me. Just because she smokes does not make her a bad person, I would have a discussion with your child though and make sure they know it's a terrible habit and how you would never want him or her to start.
    Anonymous

• If you TRY to keep her from seeing her it WON'T work so you better find a better way to deal with the situation. Have you tried talking to her?
    Anonymous

• I would probably call DCF on the family. It is one thing to make the choice at 18 but to let your 13 year old baby choose to endanger their health is wrong! They are not old enough to comprehend the ill effects of smoking and therefore can't make the right choice. That is why you can't buy cigarettes until you are 18, if a 13 year old could make a proper choice then the age limit would be 13 not 18.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Just talk to your child..
    Growing up I started smoking around 3rd grade (gasp!). My parent didnt allow it.. I did have a friend whose mom would buy my cigarettes for me (on occasion) .... The mom had 4 KIDS 2girls, 2 boys... My friend did not smoke, and only 1 of her brothers did smoked.. So just b/c a parent allows smoking doesnt mean the children around her are going to smoke..

I also hated when my bff got pregnant I was not allowed to see her anymore.. WTH! That was just crazy! Mom should have let me see how hard it was to have a newborn around!

The day I found out I was pregnant, Age 24, I quit smoking. Me & SO (at the time) had been together for 7yrs before getting pregnant..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:36 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't like when people try to parent my kids so I wouldn't parent others kids. Having said that, I would limit the time my kid spends with this kid at their house and not allow them to smoke at my house. Also my kids know how I feel about them smoking and luckily they don't.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:40 PM on May. 21, 2010