This is crazy why do parents not enforce HELMETS!!!

A 6-year-old girl, Amara Young, was hit by an SUV while riding her bike Thursday night, and is listed in critical condition at a local hospital, Anchorage police say.
The child was riding near DeBarr Road and Valley Street, east of Muldoon Road, just before 9 p.m., when she was struck by a 1992 red Mazda SUV. The vehicle was driven by Adrienne Rost, 18, police say.
Officers found Young lying in the roadway, unresponsive and suffering possible head injuries.

Young had been riding with her sister.

Rost told police she was driving down DeBarr Road when Young came off of a dirt bike path right in front of her. Rost told police she did not have time to react, and her car struck the child.

It does not appear that Young was wearing a bicycle helmet, police said. No one has been cited.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is so sad. In Alaska 9 pm looks like 3pm but that is no excuse...she is only six and damn should have been wearing a helmet!! Some parents these days . I bet you they were watching their kids instead of letting BIG SISTER do it any thing could have happened JEEZ.
    Anonymous

• I make my 7yr old wear one now he's a dare devil who could have had his head squished in (long story) that's bad and why was she riding her bike that late anyways when the sun goes down the bikes are parked at my house.
    Anonymous

• State of NC has made it a law with FINE. Under 16 MUST wear a helmet on a 2 wheeled bike.
    Anonymous

• The sun is out til 1 am where this story happened although that should make no difference
    Anonymous

• kids should always wear helmets while riding bikes, but i would like to point out that would not havedone much good against a car, they're to protect the kids head if they fall off the bike, , if you want their heads protected against a car, buy a motorcycle helmet, and even then, it wont always help.
    Anonymous

• Helmets are absolutely necessary. But I want to know why these little kids were out riding their bikes that late in the evening and nobody seemed to care? My kids were either watching TV with DH and I every evening or after 9:00 pm they were in bed in thier rooms reading. The lack of parental supervision is criminal. It doesn't matter if the sun is still out on Alaska ....it is the time that is important, Yes, and the fact that they were out riding without parental supervision is idiotic and negligent.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:53 PM on May. 21, 2010

• There was someone on here last week I think it was saying helmets do nothing and she does not put them on her kids because their a waste of money. HERE IS YOUR PROOF THAT THEY ARE NOT A WASTE OF ANYTHING!!!!!!! I will be buying my DD her first helmet when I buy her tricycle probably next month!!!!!! You better believe she will be wearing one at 6 years old!!!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• At the age of 6, helmets should be enforced and can be done so fairly easily. It is a far more difficult matter when they become teens and take the helmet off as soon as they are out of the parents sight.
    Anonymous

• 1. Feel so sorry for the families! My heart goes out on them..
    2. I dont think a helmet would have helped the little girl against a car that much.
    3. Helmets are important. My 3.5y wears one when riding her bike & when we start riding in houston we will wear one too (we dont locally for some reason! lol).. Growing up I never wore a helmet with a bike, Just a 4wheeler & that was only on the road.
    4. Although helmets should be worn, I dont think the family should feel the guilt of the kid not wearing one..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I see no point in a helmet or any other extra padding... My kids are 4 & 3, both ride bikes and neither so much as own a helmet... If a child with or without a helmet is hit by a car, they are screwed... We never wore them growing up and we are fine... Besides, who lets their kids ride in dangerous areas in the first place?? I'm sorry for this family. But it's like the idea that seatbelts save lives, when we all know someone who died because of them... Helmets are the same way, helmets can cause just as many injuries as not... And for many they are a false safety. Kids are more likely to do crazy stunts or jumps, and their parents allow it, because they think they can't get hurt with pads or safety helmets on... Personally, I just see no point.
    Anonymous