Do you think this is fair???

so the jr. high my daughter attends is supposibly "rewarding" the kids for good attendance by taking them to a amusement park located in the state. But here's the deal the parents have to cough up the money for their kids to get into the park itself..Where i'm from you don't have to pay for rewards...well this is what really stinks about the whole thing there are kids whose parents can't afford to send their kids or don't have any money who really earned this and can't go because of the money situation. it's an extravagent field trip if you ask me admission per kid $34 + tax and what they need like drinks and so forth is the school paying for this?? Oh hell no we as parents have to cough it up so what happens to the less fortunate kids who earned this as well??? What they ain't rich enough? it don't seem fair or right to make children suffer like this:(

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 3:08 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Gee, when I was in high school and we had perfect attendance or A and B honor roll we got a free snickers candy bar.

I do think its too extravagant.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:11 PM on May. 21, 2010

• we used to have those type of things when i was in school too. i was in orchestra and we paid to go to Kings Dominion after our All City performance as a treat. And if it were a class field trip than yea, we had to pay for that too. But once the school did pay for us to go to Busch Gardens because we made honor roll. I don't think they should have made you pay for it if they said it was a reward. if anything, they could have left it alone, had a little ceremony gave some cake and punch to the kids and gave them a big ole certificate :-D it does give false hope to those kids who are expecting to go to the amusement park and they end up not going because their parents can't afford it.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 3:11 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I'm sure there are group rates or coupons around. Look into it. I know when I went to Six Flags last year we got buy one get one free passes from Coke bottles.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• The high school I went to took us to Busch Garden's. We paid $20 and for our food (or we could pack it). The school covered the rest..
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:16 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I'm just saying there are kids who's parents don't have the money they should do something else like have a free day and allow the kids to play games and win prizes (age appropriate)
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:17 PM on May. 21, 2010

• The high school I went to rewarded perfect attendance and good grades by letting you skip some or all of your finals or giving you a free day out of school.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• If they are offering it, they should pay for it. When I was in 6th grade, my middle school offered a trip to Opry Land in Nashville (now closed) for the homeroom in each grade with the best attendance. I was in the lucky room and got to go. They paid for the trip, lunch on the way, and admission, and bought everyone a bottle of water when we got there, which we were welcome to refill from a water fountain if we wanted. All the money we had to take was for souvenirs if we chose to. If it is something they are offering for a reward, they need to pay for it or find a way for the kids that can't afford it to go.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:00 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We have to pay for all the trips our kids take. Yes it is a lot, and yes it is hard for some parents. But where I live our school taxes are so high that I wouldn't want them using money for a trip like that instead of something the kids really need to learn.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• This isn't a reward, it's outright bribery, and completely wrong! Whatever happened to the truant officer picking kids up and parents having to pay fines if their child repeatedly missed school? This is what happened when I went to high school, if you were missing and your parents called and they couldn't vouch for you, the truant officer went looking & woe betide the kid that got caught!
    Anonymous

• Some schools have fundraisers for those kids. They sign up for "scholarship" help. Mine did.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 PM on May. 21, 2010