questions for moms who track BBT

I just got a BBT thermometer but I'm wondering... I know you're supposed to get a reading when you FIRST wake up. Well, my stupid body has the habit of waking me up a few times in the early hours of the morning, before I'm well enough rested, ready to get up, and before my kids get up. We're a whole family of light sleepers, and I'm afraid that if I take my temp then, like 5 or 6 am, I will wake my husband with the beeping. I'm also afraid I will wake myself up too much so that I can't go back to sleep. But isn't it supposed to be inaccurate if you haven't been asleep for several hours straight? Any idea how much it matters? Thanks and sorry if this is a totally stupid question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• The ideal situation is to take it first thing when you wake up, and after at least 3-4 hours of continuous sleep. However, I was able to get an accurate chart while working third shift and having a 7+ month old baby around. So it could still work out. The only thing you can do is try it out. Chart for a month or two using temps from when you really wake up and see if you get a recognizable pattern. If not, then you may need to start using an earlier waking time. But no way to tell for you until you try. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:46 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I would test after you know you have had 3-4 hours of continuous sleep. So if you usually need to wake up at 7 but happen to wake up at 5 I would test at 5 because you will have had the longest amount of continuous sleep than if you slept for 2 more hours then tested at 7. Can you put the thermometer under the covers or wrap it in the blanket to muffle the beep? GL!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:54 PM on May. 23, 2010