If your child's school has a no peanut policy...

Does it say so in their handbook? Do parents sign something acknowledging that it's not allowed? Do they check every child's lunch?

I remember a question about a week ago regarding this, and I'm just curious on how this is enforced. What happens if they bring it to school anyways?

My son's not of school age yet, so I don't know how it works, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:32 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My sons school has a no peanut policy. They just send a simple note home asking that any treats sent in contain no peanuts. They don't care if I send him a pb and j for his own personal lunch to school...they just don't serve it there.Once I almost accidentally bought a huge bag of m&m's with peanuts to send for his class,lol...but thankfully I remembered the note and got something else.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:56 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Oooh, I'd like to know too. Ours does not have a no-peanut policy. My son is very allergic, so I just have to be careful and teach him to be careful. He's 5.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Ours doesn't have such a policy, but when there is a child with an allergy in a class all the parents are informed. I don't think we've had a problem of someone bringing it anyways...but since mine doesn't have an allergy I likely wouldn't know about it!

One year there was such a child in my son's class, but it was OK for him to be at a separate table.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Our school has no policy, but there is a bin in the classroom of peanut free snacks. When a parent brings in cupcakes for a birthday, the peanut allergic kids know to go to the bin to take a snack. 4 kids in my daughters class of 26 are allergic to peanuts this year!!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:40 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Our school doesn't have that policy but my son had a peanut allergic child in his class and note was sent home about it for when we sent in birthday treats and stuff.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Another of the many reasons we chose to homeschool.

A child who is allergic to peanuts needs to learn to take care of their safety and health... not to rely on the compliance of strangers, particularly since homes like ours put kids out in the world who are practically covered in peanut oil. We eat a LOT of peanut butter-like 10 pounds in 3mo-- not just on toast or in pbjs... but in soups, stir fries, in cookies and any of the very many ethnic styles of cooking that use peanuts regularly because they're a healthy source of essential fatty acids, complete protein and fibre. We've never been careful about the surfaces we touch, or where we eat it, or how we clean up after it --so we're probably covered in it, all of us.

Until the child can be safely responsible personally, someone who loves the child needs to be responsible. Kind of like parenting, really.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:52 AM on May. 22, 2010

• The school will notify you...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on May. 22, 2010