Why why why do teens have to be texting and driving... link inside

http://firegeezer.com/2010/05/21/texting-teen-takes-down-pumper/

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 3:47 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://firegeezer.com/2010/05/21/texting-teen-takes-down-pumper/

Although she didnt kill anyone this is why you just need a no phone zone in every teenagers car!

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• It's not just teens. Many adults are just as guilty. My mother is a great example, every time I get in the car with her she has her phone in her lap and is either talking or texting and she is in her late forties. I lost a good friend from a girl who was texting her SO. Both girls died in the head on accident and the one who was texting was pregnant!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:50 PM on May. 21, 2010

• It's not just teens who do it. There are a lot of stupid adults that do it too.
    Anonymous

• I know adults do to! Just ugh breaks my heart... I have a teen son soon to be on the road.. this really makes me nervous!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:52 PM on May. 21, 2010

• the world is full of stupid people... if it's not eating, it's reading, putting on makeup, taking notes on a phone call, messing with the GPS, trying to calm the kids down... there are so many distractions to keep us all from focusing on the road. this is just the latest trend. as the parent and sometimes guide of teenagers, yes they are particularly stupid - they don't think about consequences of much of anything, even the smart ones. i live in an area (dallas fort worth) that lacks realistic public transportation. i just think this is one more reason it's badly needed...
    Anonymous

• I personally love watching the distracted police driving erratically, reacting to things they didn't see coming because they're staring at their computer screens...

I've seen people doing their makeup, reading the paper, doing crossword puzzles, eating, watching movies, helping someone in the next seat over fold a map, search the car floor for things, try to get a bee out of a car, watch the scenery through the sunroof...

In general, people are so used to driving that they totally underestimate the risk they are in simply by being in a car on the road, without considering how difficult it is to respond sensibly to anything unexpected when behaving as if nothing unexpected will happen this time because nothing unexpected happened the last 100 times... like the car or traffic knows that.

It's like juggling 8 balls: when one comes as a surprise, which one will you drop --a phone? a drink? a lit cigarette? steering?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:31 AM on May. 22, 2010

• It's not just teens. Actually, I see many more adults doing it. I hate that my dh tries to send me text messages, knowing I am in my car. He knows I hate even talking on my phone in the car, I'm never going to try to text someone! Duh. My dd had her learners permit and will be 16 in July. We talk about this all the time. She thinks it's stupid. We'll see what happens when she actually is on the road by herself. Hopefully she'll use a little of the common sense that was given to her.

The funniest thing I saw someone doing while driving was a woman driving an SUV, smoking and talking on her phone... all while wearing her oxygen!!! I sure hope the oxygen wasn't turned on. Even so... I got around that woman and stayed far away. She was a ticking time bomb! The other weird thing I saw this week was somebody reading a novel... while driving! Not just at the red lights, but while they were driving! *shakes head*
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:59 AM on May. 22, 2010