Jail time for library fines?

Has anyone heard of this? I know a few years back there were some cases, but have you ever personally known anyone arrested for library fines?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i hope not. I'll be going to jail. I just found some books from last summer that we forgot about and never took back. I bet i owe a lot of money and i dont think i want to pay it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:01 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I hope not! I still owe the Library a little over a hundred dollars from some books that got stuck in the back of our storage shed for two years. I've been saving the money to pay them though.
    Anonymous

• I have never heard of that either, and at one point my library fines were over $1,000!!! (long story!) But, I have never had any threats of jail time. Heck, I haven't even heard from the collection agency in a long-long-long time! I was only able to get the fine down to $230, and I still owe that!

Crossing fingers that lost library materials doesn't equate to jail time any time in the near future!!

Anonymous

• how much do you owe for them to want to take you to jail and how many books do you have of theres?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:06 PM on May. 21, 2010

• my mom won a $8000 lottery ticket some years ago. they took all her old library fines out of that! but I've personally never heard of jailtime
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:08 PM on May. 21, 2010

• lol no. where i grew up if the fine got to be as much of the price of the book that was all they could make you pay.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:09 PM on May. 21, 2010

• what if you just return the books? I found my books, i wonder if i will still have to pay my fines
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:11 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I just googled it, and it's true. There have been people arrested. Some lady was pulled over for speeding, and when they ran her license, it came back with an arrest warrant for around $80 in overdue fines, lol! I guess it's time to go pay the $15 that I owe! Scary!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:38 PM on May. 21, 2010

• You CAN go to jail for library fines, especially if you never return the materials. It's the same as stealing. Some towns are organizing it with the local police that the offenders be arrested.
    Anonymous

• I know there is one day out of the year that if you bring your library books back you don't have to pay !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:13 PM on May. 21, 2010